I hope that you all had a fantastic holiday! Mine was great except for the fact me and the hubby came down with really bad head colds! I had something completely different planned for dinner and the only thing that sounded good was soup. Plus it was snowing all day. Perfect soup day. This soup was so delicious! It is an award winning soup and it is excellent. I loved the cheesy flavor and I loved that it was different than other soups that we had tried. It became an instant favorite and it made a lot so I am excited to have leftovers!
This soup is insanely delicious! Made with fresh ingredients and topped with shredded cheese, you will make it again and again!
- ½ pound ground beef (use 1 pound)
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups of Velveeta processed cheese cubed (I used 16 ounce) or- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, shredded carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
Recipe Adapted from Taste of Home