Rating: 4 stars Difficulty of Recipe: 2 stars
Review: The only thing that I couldn’t find at the store was shredded provolone cheese. So I was not able to make the melty cheese mixture that you pour on the top. I just used sliced provolone and they were still delicious! I am going to keep my eye open for shredded provolone the next time I make this! I also increased the steak sauce to 1/3 cup.
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 cup beef broth
salt and pepper to taste
4 hamburger buns
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
1. In a large skillet heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and brown while breaking up in chunks with a spatula or spoon.
2. Add the chopped green pepper and onion cooking for about 3-4 minutes until they start to become tender. Drain all excess liquid.
3. Add the beef broth and steak sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue cooking until sauce is thick and bubbly.
3. While this is cooking, Split the hamburger buns and butter each side. Place the buns side down onto a separate skillet until golden brown.
4. To make the cheese topping, melt the butter in the skillet and add the flour. Cook for one minute. Whisk in milk and continue cooking until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until incorporated.
5. To assemble, place the bun on the bottom. Spoon the meat mixture on top and pour the cheese mixture on top topping with the bun. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Blog Chef
Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
January 5, 2013
I don’t think I will ever go back to regular sloppy joes. These were amazing! I don’t think that I was expecting these to be as good as they were. Maybe because sloppy joes are so simple and well, sloppy. My 9 year old ate them and loved them even with the onion and green pepper. The flavor of these were so delicious and reminded me of a philly cheese steak. They were especially amazing with the cheese all melty on top. This is a great quick and easy meal that puts a fun twist on sloppy joes!