Hey again! It’s Liz from Love Grows Wild, and I’m back to share another amazing recipe with you! Last time I was here, I shared a delicious Mexican dinner idea, but today I’m going to switch it up and go for something even better… Dessert! These Blueberries and Cream Hand Pies are incredibly yummy and perfect for traveling! Bake them ahead of time to pack for parties and picnics or enjoy them warm and fresh out of the oven. Either way you will love the fresh blueberry flavor packed into these little pies!
When I think of Summertime desserts, my mind immediately goes to fruit pies. We always have an abundance of fruit during these months, and baking them into pies is the perfect way to make use of them! This recipe calls for frozen blueberries, so I always make sure to freeze plenty of them when they’re in peak season so I can enjoy blueberry pies all year long. But if you don’t have some already in your freezer, no worries! I can always find frozen berries at the grocery store too.
These pies are filled with not only blueberries, but a delicious lemony cream cheese filling too! It adds the perfect balance to the sweet tartness of the blueberries and makes the pies totally irresistible! With this recipe you will have plenty of blueberries and cream cheese left over, so you may want to grab a second package of pie crust to make more pies. Trust me, you won’t want to waste all those yummy ingredients!
Take a look at those juicy berries bursting out of the pie tops!
Feel free to use your own favorite pie crust recipe, but I like to save time by using store-bought crust whenever I can. You can bake these pies ahead of time, and they are perfect to take along to picnics and parties. No plates or silverware needed!
You just can’t beat delicious blueberries and lemony cream cheese all wrapped in a flaky pie crust… One bite and you will be hooked!
Blueberries and Cream Hand Pies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 - 15 ounce package refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, ½ cup of sugar, lemon zest, and egg and stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of sugar, lemon juice, and flour. Place one pie crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment and cut into quarters with a sharp knife. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each quarter. Then spoon 2 tablespoons of the blueberry mixture on top. Brush the edges with heavy cream and fold the crust over to create triangles.
- Crimp edges of the pies to seal. Brush tops of pies with more heavy cream and sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of sugar. Repeat with second pie crust and fillings.
- Cut a small vent in the top of each pie with a sharp knife and bake until golden, 20 -25 minutes, rotating the baking sheets in the oven halfway through.
- Let the pies cool completely on wire racks before serving.
You'll have more blueberries and cream cheese than you need for this recipe, so you may want to grab a second package of pie crusts to make more pies. You could probably get another 8 servings out of it! Recipe Adapted from Martha Stuart
I’ll see you again here in a few weeks, but until then I hope you’ll visit me at Love Grows Wild and check out my latest projects and recipes!
You can also connect with me here:
I am Alyssa and the blogger behind The Recipe Critic. I started my blog in June of 2012 as a place to share my passion for cooking. I love trying new things and testing them out with my family.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Paprika Chicken with Vegetables - November 27, 2016
- Overnight Caramel Banana French Toast with Caramel Syrup - November 26, 2016
- Weekly Menu Plan #76 - November 26, 2016