The sun came out on Sunday long enough for us to have a BBQ. I think we are done with storms for a while here in North Carolina, but I sure did wish a storm came on my run this morning. Because if it isn’t stormy in North Carolina it is hot and humid! My family wanted some hot dogs on the grill, but that is just so boring! These Texas Corn Dogs sounded so yummy I couldn’t wait to give them a try!
If this is how amazing the ‘hot dogs’ are in Texas, I want to go visit. Really though, the chili style corn meal meat on these hot dogs made them fantastic! You can add a few favorite topping like jalepeños, mustard, cheddar cheese… but you have to add the Frito’s chips on top for that amazing crunch! You will never want to have boring hot dogs again after you give these a try!
- 1 Tbsp canola or corn oil
- 2 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef sirloin
- 1½ Tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground instant expresso or ground coffee (I omitted)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red or green jalepeño chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup room temperature beer (I omitted)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 Tbsp masa or cornmeal
- ½ cup drained red kidney beans
- 8-12 beef or pork hot dogs
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 bag Fritos Corn Chips for topping
- Yellow Mustard
- Minced onions
- Pickled jalepeño peppers
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Add the beef and brown well.
- Add the chili powder, expresso (if using), season with salt and pepper, stir for about 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic, and fresh chili pepper and continue to cook until tender about 6-7. Stir in tomato paste, cook for 1 minute. Add the beer (if using) then stock, stir in masa or cornmeal and simmer until thickened about 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans and heat through.
- Heat the hotdogs on the grill or simmering water. Serve the dogs in toasted buns and top with cheese, chili, lots of fritos, mustard, oinions, and pickled jalepeños.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash - October 27, 2016
- Weekly Menu Plan #71 - October 22, 2016
- Salted Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies - October 17, 2016