Nutella. Whoever invented Nutella is pure genius. That stuff is amazing and pretty much good on anything. Nutella is always there for you especially when you are sad.
I have always wanted to incorporate Nutella into a cookie. I know that I have seen cookie recipes that stuff nutella inside, but I wanted these cookies to taste like nutella. But then I wanted to take them to a whole different level and stuff the insides with caramel. Can you even imagine biting into a nutella cookie with gooey caramel inside? Holy cow. Mind blown. These cookies were soft and gooey on the inside and the caramel inside was perfect. How can you go wrong with a Caramel Stuffed Nutella Cookie. You just can’t.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup Nutella or other hazelnut chocolate spread
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup caramel squares, cut into ¼’s or caramel bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside. In a medium sized bowl add the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar in a stand mixer on high until it is light and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer on low and add the eggs and vanilla. Add the nutella and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is smooth.
- Measure about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball and place 1-2 caramel squares inside, wrap the cookie dough over the caramel and roll back into a ball. Make sure it is completely covered so that the caramel won’t stick to the pan. I flattened the dough balls just a little when I set them on the pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Allow them to cool for about 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack.
I tried to find the caramel bits to stuff in the cookies but couldn’t. I hear that they melt a little better than the caramel squares. But I found that if you cook the cookies a little longer the caramel will be more gooey but the cookie won’t be as chewy.