Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Frosting is a lightly spiced cake that is perfectly moist and delicious. Topped with the most amazing thick and creamy marshmallow frosting!
Hi, it’s Jenn, from Eat Cake For Dinner. What kind of delicious comforting goodies have you been making so far this Fall? I’ve already made soup, rolls, apple desserts, pumpkin treats and some sweet potato dishes. I have really started to love sweet potatoes, but not just in Sweet Potato Casserole. I have also added them to a chowder and I can’t wait to continue using them in new recipes.
For this recipe, I added sweet potatoes to cake. I used my Carrot Cake Bar recipe and added some cloves and swapped out the carrots for sweet potatoes. Have you ever thought to do that? Swap shredded sweet potatoes for carrots? It totally works. This cake actually tastes just like carrot cake and has the same moist texture. If you didn’t tell someone they were eating sweet potato cake, they would probably think it’s carrot, but since it’s Fall and sweet potatoes are all over, it’s fun to use sweet potatoes.
This lightly spiced cake is delicious. I will be making it every Fall from now on. I topped it with a thick and creamy marshmallow frosting, because sweet potatoes and marshmallows are perfect together, but you could use cream cheese frosting if you prefer.
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2½ c. peeled, shredded, sweet potatoes*
- ¾ c. packed light brown sugar
- ¼ c. sugar
- ½ c. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- chopped pecans, for garnish, opt.
- Marshmallow Frosting
- ½ c. (8 Tbl.) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (7 oz.) carton marshmallow creme
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, shredded sweet potatoes, brown sugar, sugar, oil and vanilla and mix until well blended. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Do not overmix. Pour batter into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and top with Marshmallow Frosting and chopped pecans, if desired.
- *Note: It's best to grate the sweet potatoes on the medium or small side of the grater. If you use the large side, the sweet potatoes don't get as soft during baking.
- For the Frosting: In a medium bowl combine the butter, marshmallow creme, salt and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add remaining one cup of powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy. Frosting will be thick. Carefully spread over cooled cake.
You might also like these other delicious recipes from Eat Cake For Dinner
Latest posts by Jenn (see all)
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Bread with Cream Cheese Icing - January 9, 2017
- Cherry Almond Bread - December 6, 2016
- Perfect Soft and Buttery Rolls - November 4, 2016