Hiya RC readers! Ashton here from Something Swanky. I’m super excited to be hanging out over here at Alyssa’s place today!! I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time in person with Alyssa at the BYB conference, and I just think she is so amazing.
I’ve seen lots of Skinny Recipes over here lately in preparation for Alyssa’s cruise. And I can’t wait to make some of them myself! But, I’m afraid I’m here to ruin the diet.
These Caramel Cake Cookies are a spin off of my Red Velvet Cake Batter Cookies (my new faves, by the way) which were a spin off of Sally’s Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
It’s a great basic cake mix recipe. For this adaptation, I used Duncan Hines Caramel Cake mix, omitted all of the sprinkles and chunks (although I think pecans would be awesome), drizzled caramel over top, and sprinkled with sea salt.
Oh, yeah. Caramel Cookie heaven 🙂
Southern Caramel Cake Cookie with Sea Salt
Adapted from: Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup caramel cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 6 Tbsp. shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 dozen Kraft caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp sea salt for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, mix together together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not OVERMIX the dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons of the cold dough onto a a parchment or silicon lined baking sheet. Shape your cookie dough balls to be “taller” than they are wide. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are obviously done. The centers will still appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Microwave the caramels and water together for 1 minute (addition time if needed). Drizzle over top of the cookies and sprinkle with sea salt.