A delicious and moist lemon sponge cake that is bursting with fresh blueberries on top! One of the best cakes that I have ever had!
The hubby and I just returned home from a fabulous cruise. We were celebrating my 30th birthday! My mom was amazing and watched all of the kiddos so that we could go and have an enjoyable time. It was so nice and relaxing. It is amazing how long you can take a nap uninterrupted. And actually take naps! We enjoyed massages, eating, and zip lining in Puerto Vallarta.
Before we left for the cruise we were experiencing really unusually warm temperatures in Utah. It was starting to feel like spring in February! When we got home from our cruise, it was a blizzard. More snow than what we had over Christmas. I am so ready for Spring and warmer weather ahead!
Ok now lets talk about this cake. This made it to the top five cakes that I have ever had. And that is saying something because I have had a lot of cakes in my day. 😉
I love upside down cakes. It is such a fun surprise to see a regular looking cake cooking in the oven. And then you flip if over and have a beautiful cake! This cake was perfectly moist and amazing. The blueberry topping is bursting with fresh blueberries and adds the perfect amount of sweet.
If you love lemon and blueberries you have to try this one! It will become an instant favorite!
- Blueberry Topping:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2½ cups fresh blueberries
- Lemon Sponge Cake:
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the sides of a 9 inch round sponge cake pan and set aside.
- To make the blueberry topping: In a small saucepan add the butter, sugar, lemon zest and lemon. Cook for about 2 minutes until the mixture starts to bubble. Stir in the blueberries and pour into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- To make the cake: In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixture add butter and sugar. Beat together until fluffy about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, followed by lemon zest, vanilla, and lemon extract. Add in the dry ingredients and continue to mix until combined.
- Add the batter to the top of the blueberry mixture and spread evenly on the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Let cake rest for 10 minutes and then flip over and serve.
Recipe adapted from Food