Hey everyone! Chelsea from Chelsea’s Messy Apron here with a great summer recipe! This dinner is super simple to make and doesn’t require you to turn on your oven! Both things I appreciate in making dinner when it starts getting super hot outside.
You will use your stove-top, but that doesn’t heat up the home all that much 🙂 The spaghetti can be switched out for any kind of noodles and you can also switch up the veggies to whatever is coming out of your garden. The zucchini and summer squash is my favorite combo with the lemon spaghetti, but tomatoes, steamed beans, or peas would also taste great in this dish. Enjoy!
- 1 package white spaghetti
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 cups assorted zucchini and summer squash
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, optional
- ⅔ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅔ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the spaghetti according to package directions and cook all the way through. Drain when the noodles are done cooking and return the noodles to the pot.
- Chop up the zucchini and summer squash (measure out 5 cups after cutting) by cutting the squashes into coins and then lengthwise and width-wise through the coins.
- Place the pine nuts in the pan without any oil over medium heat. Lightly toast by stirring until lightly brown. They will burn easily so watch carefully.
- Next, combine the olive oil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the chopped squash and zucchini to the olive oil mixture. Stir until they are tender.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Season generously (or to taste) with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Add the zucchini and squash mixture to the drained spaghetti. Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and the previously toasted pine nuts. Stir until combined.
- Tongs work best for tossing the ingredients together.
- Enjoy immediately.
Here are some more easy dinner recipes from Chelsea’s Messy Apron: