One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is a comforting family favorite classic made easy by using only one skillet and topping with a delicious flaky puff pastry.
Hey friends! It’s Melanie here again from Garnish & Glaze bringing you a delicious classic but made easy. One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie can get a little complicated so I simplified it by making it all in one skillet and using puff pastry dough. I mean, who doesn’t want less dishes to clean? Plus, Puff Pastry! It’s not only easier than making your own pie crust, but it’s puffy flakiness is just beyond comparison.
What exactly is “comfort food”? To me, it means that it’s something warm, creamy, maybe cheesy, and has some sort of flaky or crispy bread. So something like Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole or this One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie. It’s warm and cozy, has a creamy filling, and is topped with a flaky bread topping.
Now, just because this is a comfort food doesn’t mean that it’s all bad for you. I mean, we’re using lean meat, lots of veggies, and nixing a bottom layer of crust. Yes there’s quite a bit of butter involved but… life is better with a little butter. Am I right? And you’re not eating this everyday, even though you’ll want to.
The best part about this One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie, besides it’s deliciousness, is that you only dirty one pan. All the ingredients are cooked in the skillet and then you just add the puff pastry and stick the skillet in the oven. If you don’t have have a pan that can go in the oven you can just transfer the filling to a pie dish before adding the puff pastry.
And, since it’s turkey season you can even substitute the chicken in this for leftover turkey. Perfect for when you’re on the 3rd day of leftovers and need a new way to still enjoy your turkey. This One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is definitely going to be a family favorite that you add to your monthly recipe rotation. Enjoy!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1½ cups carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole)
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced or shredded (about 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in an ovenproof* skillet and add the onions and celery. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Stir in the flour and seasonings and cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Add the chicken broth a little at a while whisking until smooth. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Mix in the chicken (or turkey) and peas and flatten the filling to create and even surface.
- Slice the puff pastry dough into 12 even strips. Lay strips on top, weaving them together. Whisk egg and water together and brush on top of puff pastry. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.