This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Introducing cacio e pepe pizza, a delightful twist on the classic cacio e pepe pasta! It features a crispy pizza crust topped with loads of freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, a kick of black pepper, and zesty Italian seasoning. It’s a simple combination that is so delicious!
Quick and Easy Cacio e Pepe Pizza Recipe
Get ready to try something deliciously different: cacio e pepe pizza! If you’re not familiar with it, cacio e pepe is like the OG of Italian comfort food, and it’s all about that cheesy and peppery goodness. (I mean, its name literally translates to “cheese and pepper.”) The dish typically consists of spaghetti or other long pasta noodles tossed in a sauce made from pecorino romano cheese, black pepper, and pasta water. It’s so simple but so tasty! But guess what? We’re taking it to the next level with a cacio e pepe pizza!
Yep, you heard that right. Instead of the usual pasta, we’re slathering that delicious combo of pecorino romano cheese and black pepper on a crispy pizza crust. It’s like a cheesy dream come true, with a bit of a spicy kick. This pizza is simple and delicious and everyone in your family will love it. Even my youngest who only ever wants to eat chicken nuggets was asking for seconds!
Ingredients You Will Need
Get ready to have your taste buds blown away by this cacio e pepe pizza! This incredible creation combines crispy pizza dough, creamy pecorino romano cheese, spicy black pepper, and aromatic Italian seasoning for a flavor explosion you’ll love. Check out the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Pizza Dough: Roll out the pizza dough into a thin round shape, creating the perfect foundation for the cacio e pepe pizza. You can use premade dough for easy prep or make your own dough using my simple recipe here.
- Olive Oil: This will help achieve a golden and slightly crispy crust as it bakes.
- Pecorino Romano Cheese: This cheese is what makes cacio e pepe so good! It adds a sharp and salty taste and melts beautifully. You can also add some shredded mozzarella for more creamy, melty goodness.
- Black Pepper: Add a kick of flavor by generously sprinkling two teaspoons of black pepper over the grated cheese. Feel free to add more or less to taste, but I like it peppery!
- Italian Seasoning: The best blend of dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary!
- Fresh Basil Leaves: Garnish the pizza with fresh basil leaves, placing them around the surface. They not only make the pizza look good, but add extra flavor, too!
- Salt: Finish off by sprinkling a pinch of salt over the pizza. This final touch enhances all of the flavors.
Let’s Make Cacio e Pepe Pizza
Cacio e pepe pizza is the perfect quick and easy dinner. It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish! All you have to do is pick up a can of pizza roll dough from the store.
- Preheat Oven, Prepare Pan: Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Roll Out Dough: Roll your dough out into a round that will fit onto your pan. You can do a square pizza or use a round baking pan. Then place the rolled out dough onto your pan.
- Add Olive Oil and Toppings: Spread your olive oil onto the rolled out dough. Then sprinkle on your grated pecorino Romano cheese, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake: Place into the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until the dough has reached an even golden brown all around and begun to brown in some spots.
- Add Basil and Serve: Remove from the oven and then sprinkle with salt and place some basil leaves around the surface. Cacio e pepe pizza is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven when the cheese is still gooey and the crust is at its crispiest.
Tips and Variations
You’re going to love cacio e pepe pizza. It’s so good! I know it seems simple, but it’s packed with so much delicious flavor. Here are a few extra ways to make it your own:
- Use Homemade Dough: Premade dough is certainly convenient, but what if I told you you could make homemade dough with just 25 minutes of prep time and a few simple ingredients? It’s so easy to make and has the best taste and texture. Check out my full recipe here.
- Don’t Skimp on the Cheese: For that true cacio e pepe flavor, be generous with the freshly grated pecorino romano cheese. The cheese is the star of the show, so don’t hold back!
- Pepper it Up: Use freshly cracked black pepper for the best flavor and aroma. Adjust the amount of pepper to your taste preference, but don’t be afraid to let it bring some spicy heat to the pizza.
- Roll Your Dough Thin: To achieve that perfect crispy crust, roll out the pizza dough nice and thin. This will make for even baking and allows the toppings to shine.
- Add a Touch of Garlic: If you’re a garlic lover, consider adding some fresh minced garlic to the olive oil before spreading it on the dough. This will infuse the pizza with an extra layer of flavor.
- Serve With: Breadsticks and marinara, garlic knots, a chopped salad, or some soup for a complete meal!
Cacio e pepe pizza is absolutely delicious when it’s fresh and hot, with that melty cheese and crispy crust. If you happen to have any leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for about 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Reheating: Just remember, when you’re ready to enjoy your pizza again, reheating might not bring back the exact same texture and crispiness, but it’ll still satisfy those cacio e pepe cravings. Pop it in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for best results.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Cacio e Pepe Pizza
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees fahrenheit, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Roll your dough out into a round that will fit onto your pan. You can do a square pizza or use a round baking pan. Place the rolled out dough onto your pan.
- Spread your olive oil onto the rolled out dough. Sprinkle your grated pecorino romano cheese, pepper, and italian seasoning onto your dough.
- Place into the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until the dough has reached an even golden brown all around and begun to brown in some spots.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and place some basil leaves around the surface.
- Serve fresh!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.