Homemade Breakfast Sausage is easier to make than you think and tastes way better than you can imagine! This is going to change the way you do breakfast.
These are going to make the perfect breakfast addition. Serve alongside German Pancakes, Pancakes or this Blueberry Breakfast Cake.
Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Nothing beats homemade, and when it comes to homemade breakfast sausage it could not be more true. This is so easy, do not get scared away by the thought of making your own sausage, once you try it, you will wonder why you haven’t tried it sooner. Literally, this takes about 10 minutes to mix together and then all you have to do is cook it. Simple, delicious, and amazing!
One of the best things about homemade breakfast sausage is you get to control the flavors. You add the spices to your liking and you can control what does not go into it, like MSG, preservatives, additives and even colorings. When you control your food and flavors you can feed your family with confidence that you know it is going to be good, and better for you! With these breakfast sausages, you get to control the size of your patties and make them big or small depending on what you are using them for.
Breakfast Sausage Ingredients
This breakfast sausage recipe is easy to double! You can even refrigerate or freeze the homemade sausage to use the next day or later on.
- Ground Pork: Ground pork is easy to find in the meat section of your grocery store.
- Sage: Classic flavor in the most sausage that is earthy and slightly peppery.
- Thyme: This is a sharper flavor that is also peppery and a bit sweet.
- Rosemary: The minty, lemony flavor of rosemary pairs well with sage and thyme.
- Garlic: Mince fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Fresh Parsley: This has a clean peppery flavor that is best fresh, chop it finely.
- Brown Sugar: Adds a bit of sweetness to your best breakfast sausage.
- Salt: Have to have salt to bring out all the best flavors.
How To Make Homemade Sausage
Truly, this homemade breakfast sausage is super easy to mix together and you are going to love it how it all cooks up. It is tender and flavorful in every patty.
- Spices: In a medium-sized bowl combine the ground pork, sage, thyme, rosemary, garlic, parsley, brown sugar, and salt.
- Form: Shape into 2 inch balls and flatten.
- Cook: Preheat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
Quick and Easy Tips and Variations For Your Breakfast Sausage
Making your own homemade sausage sounds so gourmet, and your family will think you are truly a gourmet cook when you serve them these delectable savory patties. With these easy tips, you will see how easy this breakfast sausage is to make right in your own home.
- The Meat: Ground pork of course is the first meat of choice, but it isn’t the only one you have to use. Try using ground chicken, and turkey to lighten your sausage up a bit. You can even mix the meats together to create a flavor all your own.
- Bacon: Speaking of flavor, try adding some finely chopped bacon to your sausage for a flavor explosion.
- Spices: Remember you can spice these breakfast sausages anyway you want to. Add red pepper flakes for a bit of spice, smoked paprika, fennel seeds, and for a maple flavor try some maple smokehouse rub.
- Cook it: Whether you bake them in the oven or fry them in a cast iron on the stove make sure your patties come to 160 degrees (165for poultry). There should be no pink in your patties.
What Goes with Your Easy Breakfast Sausage
There are so many possibilities of what to serve these breakfast sausages with, but here are some good ideas.
The Best Buttermilk Pancakes
Quick and Easy Cinnamon Rolls
Storing The Best Homemade Sausages
If you are going to make breakfast sausages, you might as well make a double or triple batch and save some for later. These homemade breakfast sausages freeze well and last up to two months.
- Fridge: Leftover sausages can be kept in the fridge for up to a week when they are tightly covered.
- Freeze: This may be the most exciting thing about breakfast sausages. Let the sausage cool completely. Wrap in plastic and then in foil and place in a freezer-safe bag. They will keep for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge or for a quick thaw, place in the microwave and finish crisping it in a pan on the stove.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 Tablespoon Sage
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium sized bowl combine the ground pork, sage, thyme, rosemary, garlic, parsley, brown sugar and salt.
- Shape into 2 inch balls and flatten.
- Preheat a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I wanted a healthier sausage for pizza so I made this using ground turkey and added just a dash of Italian seasoning. It turned out better than any store bought sausage I’ve had. It was flavorful, extremely easy to make, and drew complements from our guest. This recipe is absolutely a winner!