A hearty bowl of chili is a heartwarming meal during the colder months and this Sweet Potato Chili is packed with delicious and healthy ingredients. With options below for making it meatless or changing up the flavor, you’ll want to keep this recipe on repeat.
Sweet Potato Chili
Chili is probably one of my most favorite meals to prepare for my family or even when hosting guests. It’s extremely versatile and you don’t have to rely heavily on a recipe. It’s Aimee Mars and I want to share with you a healthy and hearty Sweet Potato Chili that’s one of my favorites and perfect for cuddling up to when it’s cold.
You can easily make this recipe meatless or pack it with even more healthy vegetables. Below I’ve got several options for changing up the flavor and instructions on how to cook this recipe in the crockpot.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Chili
This sweet potato chili is simple to prepare and made with simple ingredients. The beauty of chili is that many of the ingredients can be changed so if you’d prefer to use different gound meat you can, or you can leave it out altogether.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Ground Turkey (or pork, beef, chicken)
- White Onion
- Chicken Broth
- Diced Canned Tomatoes
- Black Beans
- Tomato Paste
- Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Easy Sweet Potato Chili
- Steam the Sweet Potatoes: Quickly steam the sweet potatoes by placing them in a large microwave-safe bowl and tossing them with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook them for 3 to 4 minutes until they become slightly tender to touch.
- Sauté the Meat and Onions: In a large Dutch oven or pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the ground turkey. Break it apart as it browns and continue to cook until there’s no pink left, about 5 minutes. Move the browned turkey to the side of the pot and add the diced onions. Let sauté for about a minute before mixing in with the turkey.
- Bring it All to a Boil: Add the steamed sweet potatoes, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, and garlic. Mix the ingredients together and then add all the spices. Bring the chili to a boil.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes until the chili begins to thicken and the sweet potatoes are almost falling apart they’re so tender.
Can This Chili Be Made In The Crockpot?
Yes. To cook this sweet potato chili in the crock steam the sweet potatoes as directed in the recipe and then brown the meat and sauté the onions in a skillet. Place these cooked ingredients and the remaining ingredients into your crockpot and mix them together. Cook on high for 1 to 2 hours or low for 2 to 3 hours.
Can This Sweet Potato Chili Be Made Meatless?
Yes. If you’re looking for an easy meatless weeknight meal then you can make this sweet potato chili and leave out the meat. It will be just as tasty and just as filling with the potatoes and beans.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Chili?
Yes. Prepare the chili according to the recipe directions and let it cool completely before placing it in an air-tight freezer-safe container or a Ziplock bag. It can be stored for up to 4 months in the freezer.
Can I Leave The Beans Out?
Yes. If you would like to remove the beans from this recipe you can without altering the taste too much.
Additional Ingredients to Add
- Vegetables: chopped bell peppers, carrots, diced chilies, cauliflower, and zucchini are all great healthy options to toss into this chili.
- Meat: instead of using ground turkey try ground beef, chicken, or even pork. You could also try some sliced Kielbasa sausage or leave the meat out altogether.
- Flavor: for a more smokey flavor try adding chipotles in Adobo sauce, additional paprika, or some liquid smoke.
More Delicious Chili Recipes
- Instant Pot Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili
- Taco Chili Pasta Bake
Sweet Potato Chili
- 3 Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey beef, pork, or chicken
- 1 medium White Onion chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 14 ounce Diced Canned Tomatoes
- 14 ounce Canned Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Quickly steam the sweet potatoes by placing them in a large microwave-safe bowl and tossing them with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook them for 3 to 4 minutes until they become slightly tender to touch.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the ground turkey. Break it apart as it browns and continue to cook until there's no pink left, about 5 minutes.
- Move the browned turkey to the side of the pot and add the diced onions. Let sauté for about a minute before mixing in with the turkey.
- Add the steamed sweet potatoes, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, and garlic. Mix the ingredients together and then add all the spices.
- Bring the chili to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes until the chili begins to thicken and the sweet potatoes are almost falling apart they're so tender. Season with additional spices if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.