This summer has definitely kept me busy. I mentioned in an earlier post that I cook for my husbands team that he manages in the summertime. Most of them are single guys that don’t really know how to cook. So I love when one of them gives me one of their family recipes and wants me to make it for them. I feel like it gives them a little taste of home while they are out here. 🙂
I can’t even describe how amazing this recipe turned out. I loved the crust surrounding the frozen dessert. It gave it a little crunch and it was delicious! The middle was creamy and I loved the fresh frozen strawberries inside. The guys all loved it and described it as strawberry ice cream sandwich. This is the perfect summertime dessert and I am so happy to have gotten this delicious recipe. Thanks Calvin! 🙂
- 4 graham cracker sheets
- ½ cup pecans
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325 and prepare a 9x13 by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine graham crackers and pecans until finely ground.
- Melt butter and combine with crumbs, flour, and brown sugar.
- Spread mixture in the bottom of a parchment lined pan and cook for 20 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Take out the crumb mixture and let cool.
- In a kitchenaid, or using a hand mixer, beat egg whites and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add heavy cream and mix for 6 minutes.
- Add juice from one lemon and cream cheese and mix until creamy.
- Gently fold in chopped strawberries.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of your 9x13 pan. Spread strawberries and cream mixture on top and sprinkle the rest of your crumb mixture on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for at least 3 hours but best if overnight. I also found that if you let it sit out 10 minutes before cutting it is easier to remove the bars.
Subscribe to the Recipe Critic Blog and get family friendly recipes via e-mail.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls - April 18, 2017
- Weekly Menu Plan #96 - April 15, 2017
- Triple Berry Chicken Avocado Salad with a Creamy Lemon Poppyseed Dressing - April 13, 2017