A moist and perfect chocolate sheet cake with cherries hidden inside. This cake is so easy to throw together and the perfect crowd pleaser!
My little seven year old is obsessed with cherries. He asks for them all of the time at the store and especially loves when they come into season. He would eat them all of the time if I let him. He is always coming up with ideas for the blog and every single time it has to do with cherries. He says, “Hey mom! How about cherry cheesecake!?” or “cherry bomb pie!?” or his latest, “cherry soup!?” Yeah this kid loves his cherries.
So you can imagine his excitement when I told him that I was making Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake.
I was a little skeptical about this recipe. The cake only requires 3 ingredients! A cake mix, eggs, and cherry pie filling. Really? Can a cake turn out with cherry pie filling!? And then I heard that this cake won in the pillsbury bake off. So I had no choice but to give this a try!
My little cherry lover helped mix the cake up in a matter of minutes and get it right into the oven. This cake was ready in no time at all. It came out and it was perfect! Spongy and moist like a cake should be, and the cherries hidden throughout were amazing!
This cake will be the perfect crowd pleaser. It absolutely delicious. Like you can’t stop eating it delicious. The chocolate frosting on top is the perfect finishing touch. It is great for throwing together at a moments notice and is sure to please everyone who eats it! Especially if you have a cherry lover like I do! 🙂
- 1 (16.5-oz.) pkg. Devil's Food Cake Mix*
- 1 (21-oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 6 ounce chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 15x19x1 inch baking pan or a 13x9 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until combined and moistened. Spread in the prepared pan.
- If using a 15x10x1 inch pan bake for 20-30 minutes. If using a 9x13 inch bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the frosting, In a small saucepan, combine sugar, milk, and margarine. Bring to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute and remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Pour over the sheet cake and spread evenly over cake.
*Recipe adapted from Pillsbury Bake off. The original recipe called for a 18.25 ounce cake mix but I couldn’t find that size anywhere. If you can find it then use it. 🙂