This Double Chocolate Peppermint Cake has two chocolate cake layers, white chocolate whipped cream and is finished off with crushed candy canes and chocolate shavings — this is the dessert you want to bring to the Christmas party!
Hi, hi! Ashley from The Recipe Rebel here with you again and I’m bringing you a cake that I am super, super excited about.
I don’t know about you all, but I for one love mint and chocolate. Really, I love chocolate and anything. Am I the only one?
I know some people who don’t like white chocolate, or don’t like mint and chocolate, or they don’t like fruit and chocolate, and I will admit — I think they’re a little bit crazy. When it comes to anything chocolate, you won’t see me turning it down!
Like this cake? The day I made it I offered it up to my Facebook friends because I needed to get it out of the house before I ate the whole thing. Needless to say, I got a text from a friend about 3 minutes later saying, “yes!! Yes, me! I’ll take it!” And there she went.
The chocolate cake is originally the Black Magic Cake from Hershey — it’s the best chocolate cake there is (in my mind), and it seems like almost everybody has reshared it in some form. I made a couple changes, and my method is a bit different (because I bake the way my mom taught me, which is sometimes a little less conventional!), but it is still the same delicious, fudgy, chocolatey piece of Heaven.
I do like to use whole wheat flour when I’m baking a chocolate cake, because I find the nutty flavor is hidden in the rich chocolate flavor, and you can’t see or taste the difference so why not make things a little healthier? I’m all about eating cake and feeling a little less guilty about it. Aren’t you??
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon mint extract (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup hot coffee or water
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour (or sub all purpose)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6oz white chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- crushed candy canes
- chocolate shavings
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 2 8" round pans with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, vanilla, mint extract (if desired) milk and eggs.
- Add the salt, baking soda and baking powder and whisk until combined. Stir in the coffee.
- Add the cocoa powder and flour and stir just until combined. Divide evenly between prepared pans and bake for 28-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the cream and chocolate in 45 second intervals on high, stirring each time, until completely smooth.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (it won't whip if it's warm!).
- After cream is chilled, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup cold water in a small bowl. Let sit for 1 minute, then microwave on high for 20 seconds or until dissolved. Set aside to come to room temperature.
- Beat cream mixture with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Stir in room temperature gelatin mixture and powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate and top with half of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and chocolate shavings. Repeat layers one more time, using remaining whipped cream.
- Chill at least 2 hours so the whipped cream can set properly before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
You might also like these mint chocolate treats!