These rich Rocky Road Chocolate Cookies loaded with chocolate chunks, marshmallows, and walnuts are a chocolate lover’s dream come true!
Hey friends! Melanie here again from Garnish & Glaze here to share an amazing and sinfully delicious dessert– Rocky Road Chocolate Cookies!
If you’re a chocoholic, you’ll for sure love these! Not only are there chunks of chocolate bar mixed in but the dough also has two whole bars of melted chocolate mixed in, in addition to cocoa powder. Oh yeah baby! So delicious and rich. Almost like a brownie but in the shape of a cookie, and just as rich and indulgent as my favorite Turtle Brownies.
As much as I hate waiting for dough to chill (patience is lost when dough is waiting to become a cookie) but it’s worth it to get thick and beautiful cookies with a crisp outside and soft center.
K, so after you mix in your chocolate chunks, marshmallows, and walnuts, cover and chill for 2 hours at least. If you chill longer, you’ll need to let it sit on the counter 30 minutes before scooping and rolling.
I usually don’t use anything on my pans when making cookies but it’s important with these to use parchment paper or silpat mats since we’re dealing with sticky marshmallows. It will still work without, but be warned that the marshmallows get sticky!
So after you chill the dough and then scoop and roll it, you bake the cookies for 11 minutes, pull them out and then press a few marshmallows in the tops. Then you pop it back in for just one minute. Seriously, just one. Any longer and your marshmallows will balloon into clouds and you don’t want that.
When you finally pull it out the last time, you can press in a couple more chocolate chunks because who doesn’t want more chocolate?! After 5 minutes, move the Rocky Road Chocolate Cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely… if you don’t eat them all before! Enjoy!
- 2 (4 ounce) semi-sweet baking chocolate bars, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 cup milk chocolate bars (about 3 1.5 ounce bars), chopped, divided
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate bars in the microwave and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine four, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together. set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars together for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Mix in the melted chocolate. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined, scraping the sides as needed.
- Use a wooden spoon or a spatula to mix in the walnuts, ½ cup marshmallows, and ½ cup of the chopped milk chocolate bars.
- Cover dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours. If chilled longer, let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- Scoop dough and form into (24) 1½ inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on pan. Bake for 11 minutes and then press 3 marshmallows into the tops of each. Return to oven and cook for 1 more minute. Press in a couple more chocolate chunks and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Then move to a cooling rack.