Hi everyone! I’m Dorothy at Crazy for Crust, where I bake up tons of crazy desserts and share them, with a slice of my life. I’m so excited to be here for Alyssa today. Alyssa and I met last winter (through blogging, of course) and I’ve been drooling over her recipes since. Any girl who gives chicken a crust and follows it with Carmelitas is my kind of girl.
I really am in looooove with crust – on pie, on brownies, in ice cream, you name it. But I also love pretty much anything with sugar. And this summer? I’ve also been crazy about zucchini. Or, rather, crazy about getting rid of zucchini. Somehow our landscaper invented magical soil, made of unicorn hair and leprechaun magic. Because OMG I have never seen so many zucchinis – or that large of ones.
Seriously, it was like Harry Potter magic or something. One day: no zucchini. Next day: bigger than my arm.
Anyway…you can bet I have made a lot of zucchini treats this summer. You’d win that bet! And I have one last one I want to share with you, Recipe Critic Readers: Chocolate Swirl Zucchini Bread.
This bread is seriously one of my favorites. It’s a simple bread that comes together super fast, and one of the things I love most about it is that there is no butter or oil in the recipe. It’s made with applesauce and greek yogurt instead, so it’s super moist and still somewhat healthy!
That means I can eat three pieces!
Plus, I love that it has a chocolate swirl. Doesn’t a chocolate swirl make everything better?
This bread makes a very large loaf, so what I did was slice it after it cooled and froze the slices. Then, whenever I need a zucchini bread fix, I just grab a bag from my freezer and warm it up. I love enjoying it with a cup of coffee after my workout, because it’s totally post workout food. I mean, you read that up there, right? No butter or oil? Greek yogurt? It’s totally post-workout food.
So, if you have any zucchini left (and if you don’t I still have some I can give you) give this bread a try. And then come say hi to me over at Crazy for Crust! I’ll talk your ear off and fill you with sugar, I promise you that.
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (or your favorite kind)
- 2 cups flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9×5” loaf pan with cooking spray. This is a large loaf, if you have 8×4” loaf pans, use two.
- In large bowl, whisk sugar, applesauce, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and eggs until well mixed. Stir in dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until mixed. Fold in zucchini.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl and melt in microwave for one minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Stir until the chocolate chips are smooth and melted. Take one cup of your zucchini bread batter and add it to the melted chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Pour the regular zucchini batter into the bottom of your loaf pan. Place the chocolate batter on the top. Swirl carefully using a butter knife. You want to swirl the batters, not mix them.
- Bake the loaf for about 44-48 minutes. Mine cooked in about 47 minutes, and the center was still a little jiggly when I removed it. A toothpick came out clean along the edges. Cool completely in pan before removing.
- To remove from pan, run a knife around the edges, invert the pan and tap the bottom. The loaf should pop out.
- Tip: slice into slices and freeze in individual sandwich bags for quick morning breakfasts!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust