The Christmas cookie baking continues over here at our house. And I am pretty sure that our neighbors love me by now. I can’t believe that I haven’t made these cookies before! Turtle chocolates are my favorite kind of chocolates in the box. And this cookie did a great job at representing my favorite chocolate!
It is a delicious chocolate cookie. And I loved the pecan pieces that gave the cookie great texture and that extra nutty flavor. But hello! The best part was definitely when you bite into the delicious cookie and get the chewy caramel center. These cookies look so pretty once they are baked. A great cookie recipe to add to the collection. 🙂
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ c. cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ c. sugar
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 additional egg white
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1¼ c. pecans, finely chopped
- Caramel Filling:
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 T. heavy cream
- Chocolate Drizzle (optional):
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp. shortening
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- On high speed in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Whisk egg white in a bowl until frothy. Roll cookie dough into one inch balls. Dip the cookie balls into the egg white and roll in the chopped pecans until outside is coated. Place the balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. With a teaspoon make a small indentation in each ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until set. While they are baking prepare the caramel filling. Melt the caramel and heavy cream in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until it is fully melted.
- Once the cookies are baked, make the indentation again and using a teaspoon fill each indentation with the caramel. If drizzling with chocolate, melt the chocolate and shortening in the microwave, and scoop into a ziplock bag. Barely snip the corner and drizzle over the cookies. Yield 24 cookies
Recipe Source Cooking Pinterest
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Apple Pecan Crisp - August 22, 2016
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Vegetables - August 21, 2016
- Weekly Menu Plan #62 - August 20, 2016