All of the things that you love about the classic Samoa Cookie in a cute little thumbprint cookie! A shortbread crust dipped in chocolate with the caramel coconut center and drizzled in chocolate!
Girl Scout season is approaching. I love Samoa Cookies and my hubby loves thin mints. He ordered 10 boxes! But my favorite cookie hands down is a samoa! I love the shortbread cookie that gets wrapped in chocolate and topped with caramel and coconut.
As I was thinking about a samoa inspired recipe these Samoa Thumbprint Cookies came to mind. I wanted them to represent everything about the classic samoa cookie and wanted to have the delicious caramel coconut right in the center of each bite.
The cookies are made with a delicious buttery shortbread cookie. I wanted to dip the bottom of the cookie in chocolate to represent the cookie even more. The center had the delicious and chewy caramel coconut and then they get drizzled with more chocolate!
Everything you love about a samoa cookie in these delicious and cute thumb print cookies. And the best part is that you don’t have to wait until girl scout season to make them! 🙂
- Shortbread Cookie:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Caramel Coconut Layer:
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 15 ounces store-bought or homemade soft caramels
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine butter, sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour the flour and beat until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb.
- Bake 14-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips 30 seconds at a time and mix until smooth. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper and dip each cookie bottom in melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set.
- To make the caramel coconut layer: In a microwave safe bowl add caramels and milk. Cook 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth. Stir in toasted coconut. Let cool slightly. Fill each center of cookie with 1 tablespoon of the caramel coconut.
- Melt remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and drizzle on top of the cookies.