This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
These Baked Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting are a real treat! They are healthier than traditional donuts and perfect for a Spring brunch or Easter dessert. Incredibly moist and flavourful!
Hi friends! It’s Ashley from The Recipe Rebel back with you again with some baked donuts.
I know the real donut fanatics are probably wondering how good a baked donut can actually be, but once you get the right recipe, I guarantee you’ll jump on board 🙂
When I first got my donut pans, I had a big recipe flop and put them away for a long time. But once I busted them out and perfected my recipe, I definitely became a believer! I started with these Lemon Blueberry Donuts and never looked back.
Donuts are such a fun treat for breakfast or brunch (these would be perfect for your Easter get togethers!), even without frosting. I have a hard time holding my kids off long enough to get any frosted! I think they’re suckers for the fun shape 😉
But since the only reason for anyone to eat cake with vegetables in it is the frosting, we’ve slathered these in a creamy, tangy cream cheese frosting.
Frosting holds up better than a glaze on donuts, which means you can easily make these ahead of time and store in the fridge or freezer completely frosted. Just pull them out a couple hours before you need them and you are good to go! No one will ever know they’re not fresh out of the oven 😉
You can mix things up by adding in some raisins or toasted coconut into the donut batter, but I like to keep these simple and just sprinkle with a little toasted coconut on top. It adds a fun little crunch and goes perfectly with the carrots and cream cheese!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Baked Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray donut pans with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together butter and oil. Whisk in sugar until combined.
- Add milk, eggs, vanilla and whisk until combined. Stir in carrots.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans or use a large piping bag, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on high speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth -- this might take 4-5 minutes.
- Spread on cooled donuts and decorate as desired (I used toasted coconut!). Serve.
- Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer up to 3 months.
The Recipe Critic Whisk
The Recipe Critic Spatula
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.