Not only is this Baked Fontina one of the easiest holiday appetizers to make, it’s so delicious you’ll feel like you’re eating fancy cheese fondue!
- 1 1/2 pounds fontina cheese rind removed and 1-inch diced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 French Baguette sliced
- Turn the oven broiler on high and adjust oven rack to the top position, about 5 inches from the heat.
- Place the Fontina cheese cubes in the bottom of a 12 inch cast-iron pan (or similar size). Drizzle olive oil on top of the cheese.
- In a small bowl combine sliced garlic, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary. Sprinkle the mixture over the cheese and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately with the slices of French baguette.
Hey everyone, this is Lauren visiting again from Tastes Better from Scratch! If you’re anything like me, all of the prep work for Christmas– hosting people and cooking– can be exhausting. That’s why we always keep our New Year’s Eve party food spread pretty simple by serving tons of easy holiday appetizers and finger foods.
If you’ve never heard of Baked Fontina, it’s basically just a fancy title for a really delicious Italian cheese dip appetizer. It cooks under the broiler in your oven for just a few minutes until hot and bubbly, and then you can serve it with crusty bread slices or fresh chopped vegetables.
What is Fontina cheese?
Fontina is an Italian cheese made from cows milk that has a soft, mild flavor. It melts really well so it’s perfect for cheese fondue or baked cheese dips like this one. You should be able to find it at your local grocery store.
How to make Baked Fontina:
Cut the fontina cheese into one inch cubes and place them in the bottom of your skillet. Drizzle olive oil over the cheese and sprinkle fresh herbs over the top. Garnish with a little salt and pepper.
Place the skillet under the broiler for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Enjoy immediately by dipping slices of bread right into the pan, family-style.
It only takes a few minutes to make but it always impresses guests and is usually devoured within minutes!
Other fun party appetizers from Tastes Better from Scratch: