This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Banana Bread Crumb Cake. Tender and soft this banana cake is loaded up with flavor and a hint of spice. Topped with a sweet, brown sugar crumb this is the perfect snack or breakfast cake!
Hey everyone, Serene from House of Yumm back with this Banana Bread Crumb Cake! This soft banana cake is loaded up with a healthy dose of crumb on top and baked in a square baking pan, making it the perfect after school snack or even breakfast for the family. You can drizzle a little icing to take it into dessert territory also.
This is the ultimate snack or breakfast cake. This recipe comes from my Banana Bread recipe. Making some small changes to that recipe such as creaming the butter and sugars, and adding baking powder for a little extra lift, turns my favorite bread into this tender banana cake.
This cake is made even more tender from using buttermilk. The same as the banana bread recipe. If you’re like me and don’t typically have buttermilk on hand its it’s an easy fix. Add about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or plain white vinegar to your measuring cup, then pour the milk in to reach 1 cup. Let it sit briefly. This will make sour milk. Perfect for baking, and gets the same results as using buttermilk.
Giving this banana cake a crumb topping puts it into the breakfast category. Almost like a coffee cake.
The crumb topping is easy to make. Combine light brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Then drizzle some melted butter in. Stir together with a fork to combine and create the large crumbs. If the crumbs are too small and it’s not sticking together into big crumbs, add just a bit more melted butter.
On the other hand if the crumb seems really wet and wanting to make one large “crumb” add just a bit more flour to dry it up a bit to create the crumbs.
More Recipes you may enjoy:
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Banana Bread Crumb Cake
- Preheat oven to 35Line a square baking pan with parchment paper or spray with non stick baking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl prepare the crumb by mixing together the light brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Then using a fork mix until large crumbs are formed. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the room temperature butter, white and light brown sugars. Cream together. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Mash the bananas with a fork, then add to the batter, stir to combine, will be slightly lumpy.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, stir with a fork to mix.
- Add to the wet ingredients, stir slowly and pour in the buttermilk while stirring. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle the crumbs on top. Gently press the crumbs into the batter to help stick.
- If using an 8x8 pan bake for about 45-50 minutes. If using a 9x9 pan bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes prior to serving. If desired top with icing.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.