This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Hi again! It’s Chelsea back from Chelsea’s Messy Apron to bring you a simple and cute Easter dessert. As much as I love St. Patrick’s Day, I have to be honest, I was ready for it to be Easter time. Easter is one of my favorite holidays and I have been getting pretty excited to make all kinds of Easter treats. Egg-shaped chocolate candies are my favorite!
Today I have some simple Easter Sugar Cookies. They are so easy to make and such a festive treat!
You’ll start off with a sugar cookie dough. You can use your favorite sugar cookie dough or the one in the ingredients listed.
Once the dough has been chilled, cut out large circles and bake the cookies until lightly browned at the bottoms.
Let the cookies cool completely and then spread on some frosting. I used a tub of cream cheese frosting for these cookies.
Before the frosting dries, you’ll sprinkle some toasted coconut on top. Toasting coconut is MEGA easy!
You can toast coconut on a large baking tray, but I find it easiest to toast it over the stove-top in a skillet.
For these cookies, I put 3 cups of coconut flakes in a large skillet. I cooked the coconut over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the flakes were mostly golden brown. If you use sweetened coconut, it cooks a lot quicker than unsweetened. With sweetened coconut, it took about 2-3 minutes until it was golden brown. Once you remove the coconut from the stove-top, let it cool completely.
Then sprinkle a tablespoon or two over the frosting and allow to dry.
The last step is to assemble the bird “eggs.” I used peanut butter speckled robin egg M&M’s, but there are a large variety of chocolate egg treats you can top these cookies with. You can use plain Robin eggs, a different variety of M&M’s or anything else you find that looks like eggs.
I attached the eggs by placing a little bit of frosting on the bottom of each egg and then pressing it down towards the cookie. You will need to move the coconut a bit so the eggs can stick to the frosting on the cookie. They don’t stick well to the toasted coconut.
And then you are done! An easy and festive Easter treat that everyone will enjoy!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Bird’s Nest Sugar Cookies
- 1 batch sugar cookie dough
- 1 tub cream cheese frosting
- 2 cups sweetened coconut
- 1 M&M's Peanut Butter Speckled Easter Eggs Candy 9.9 ounces
- Prepare the sugar cookies according to directions. Cut large circles, bake, and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut by placing two cups of coconut flakes in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the flakes are mostly golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Frost the sugar cookies with a generous amount of frosting.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flakes on the frosting.
- Put a small amount of frosting on the bottom of the M&M's. Place 3 M&M's next to each other on the sugar cookie making sure to slightly separate the coconut so the M&Ms are attached to the frosting on the cookie.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.