This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Broccoli Casserole. This cheesy, casserole is loaded up with fresh tender broccoli florets, baked in a homemade creamy cheese sauce, and topped with crispy buttered Panko crumbs. This casserole is sure to be a highlight!
This broccoli casserole is the perfect side dish to go along any holiday meal, or any weeknight meal! Serve alongside this Juicy Butter Herb Turkey Recipe, Garlic Butter Herb Prime Rib Recipe, or alongside some Dad’s Famous Mashed Potatoes.
Hey y’all Serene from House of Yumm back with you today. This broccoli casserole is a frequent visitor to our holiday table! And not just our holiday table, but our weeknight table also. Is it just me or is broccoli best served smothered in cheese? And this recipe has a homemade cheese sauce! It’s the perfect side dish to go alongside a fancy holiday meal of turkey or prime rib, but it also works alongside some weeknight chicken. Or I share instructions to add some shredded chicken to this broccoli casserole which would make it a meal all on it’s own.
How to make Broccoli Casserole
- Blanch the broccoli: bring water to a boil and cook the broccoli briefly, for a couple minutes, until bright green and slightly softened.
- Make Homemade Cheese Sauce: Make a roux. Melt butter, whisk in flour and seasoning. Add milk and cheese. Whisk while cooking to make a creamy homemade cheese sauce.
- Mix the broccoli with the cheese sauce: Stir to combine the cheese sauce with the broccoli. This step can be done in the casserole dish to limit the amount of dishes needed.
- Bake: top the casserole with buttered panko breadcrumbs, and bake all together.
Can I use Fresh or Frozen Broccoli?
This broccoli casserole can be made with fresh or frozen broccoli. The recipe is written for fresh broccoli.
To adjust for frozen, thaw the frozen broccoli according to directions. Pat dry. The frozen broccoli will not need to be blanched and can be added directly to the cheese sauce and mixed.
How to adjust this Broccoli Casserole recipe
To make this casserole a more filling side dish you can easily add rice or another grain. To do this, substitute 2 cups of the broccoli with 2 cups of cooked rice or grains. Mix in with the broccoli and cheese sauce.
You can also make it a complete meal by adding cooked shredded chicken or another protein. Again, substitute 2 cups of broccoli with 1 cup rice and 1 cup shredded chicken. Or you can just do shredded chicken and broccoli, no rice.
Make Ahead Tips and Storage
Want to make this broccoli casserole ahead of time? You can prepare the broccoli, make the cheese sauce, stir together and add to the baking dish. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.
This can keep in the refrigerator overnight to bake the next day. Prepare the panko with the butter and add to the top just before baking so that they don’t become soggy overnight. Add an additional 10 minutes to the bake time to ensure that it is properly heated through.
As always, use caution when adding cold dishes to a preheated oven. I recommend setting the casserole dish out on the counter for at least 10 minutes to let the dish warm slightly before adding to the oven.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Can be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees in an oven safe container, or in the microwave.
More Side Dish Recipes You May Enjoy
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Add broccoli to the boiling water and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes until bright green.
- Remove broccoli and place in a bowl filled with ice water.
- In a medium size sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Whisk in milk, continue to cook over medium/low heat while whisking until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- Mix broccoli with cheese sauce and add to casserole baking dish.
- Top broccoli with remaining 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- In small bowl combine panko with melted butter. Stir to combine. Then sprinkle over top of broccoli casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through and bread crumbs on top are a golden brown color. Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.