Delicious chewy sugar cookie bars made with brown butter. This adds such amazing flavor and the salted caramel buttercream on top is the best part!
I love sugar cookie bars. They require little effort to make and taste just as amazing with a fraction of the work. Brown butter is also another favorite of mine. Have you made anything yet with brown butter in it? If you haven’t, then you are missing out!
How do you even describe brown butter? It becomes nutty and adds such great flavor with just a simple added step of cooking it on the stove. It is like a bakers gold. Whatever you add it to becomes amazing! It made these sugar cookie bars so soft and chewy and were literally the best that I have ever had!
But just when you think these delicious bars can’t get any better, you frost them with salted caramel buttercream. Oh my goodness. I think I am going to frost everything from now on with this frosting! The frosting took these delicious bars to a whole different and amazing level. Sprinkle it with a little sea salt and you are good to devour. 🙂
I have made some sugar cookie bars in my day that have been dry and crumbly before. Not these. They are so soft and chewy with the first bite! They even stay soft and chewy the next day. If they last that long! 🙂
I know that you will agree that these are one of the best cookie bars ever! And if you have never added brown butter to anything, now is the time to start!
Recipe frosting source Betty Crocker
Brown Butter Sugar Cookie Bars with Salted Caramel Buttercream
For the Brown Butter Sugar Cookie Bars:
- 13 tablespoons unsalted butter melted until browned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Salted Caramel Butter Cream:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Course Sea Salt for Sprinkling
To make the sugar cookie bars:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized saucepan add the butter. Cook over medium heat and whisk the butter to brown. It will become frothy and start to have a nutty aroma. Then it will turn brown. It takes about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dark brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, brown butter and eggs. Beat until incorporated.
- Add flour and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The dough will be thick. Spread evenly into the bottom of your prepared 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack completely.
To make the salted caramel buttercream:
- In a medium sauce pan add the butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir in the milk and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar. Frost the cooled bars ad sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.