This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Hi it’s Tiffany from Creme de la Crumb, can you believe it’s February?! What is going on here?? Valentines Day is practically here and I haven’t made a single batch of sugar cookies or found a gift for my special someone. However, I have made a really delicious dessert that I think would top even the biggest heart-shaped box of chocolates you could get your hands on and I’m going to share it with you today!
This Browned Butter Banana Cake is one of my favorite cake recipes! I can’t stand bananas plain, but I’ll eat them in cookies, bread, and this cake. It’s incredibly moist and sweet, and the browned butter takes the flavor to a whole new level of delicious. Top that with a perfect and simple brown sugar frosting and you’re in banana cake heaven!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Browned Butter Banana Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 medium very ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
Brown sugar frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch pan heavily with cooking spray.
- In a small sauce pan melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat, stirring throughout until butter begins to brown (but not burned!). Aroma will be strong. Remove from heat. Transfer browned butter to a large bowl. Add brown sugar, honey, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, and oil. In another bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting. Cream together sugars and butter. Stir in milk and vanilla. (Add just enough milk so that the frosting comes together and is spreadable) Spread frosting on cooled cake. Allow frosting to set before slicing and serving. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.