This unforgettable dessert is layered with a shortbread crust, chocolate ganache layer, coconut cream, and topped with whipped cream! Perfect for your next party!
This is one of the best desserts that I have ever had.
But probably because I am a huge coconut cream pie fan. It is one of my favorite pies and I love the creamy coconut flavor. When I saw this recipe for chocolate coconut cream pie bars I had to make it. Like run as fast as I could to the store and make it! We were having a family gathering that night and I knew this would be the perfect dessert.
The layers are all amazing. Starting with a shortbread crust. But the best part of this layered dessert is the chocolate ganache layer. It just adds the perfect layer to this amazing dessert.
The coconut cream layer is so smooth and delicious. It has the perfect amount of coconut flavor to it. And then to top it all off you have the whipped cream layer and toasted coconut. I added some chocolate curls on the top to add a little more chocolate to it.
This was the perfect dessert. I especially loved that the bars could be easily cut and served to everyone. And of course this dessert was a hit with my family! This is one you have gotta try!
Recipe adapted from Willow Bird Baking
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie Bars
Shortbread Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter cut into small cubes
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Coconut Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Whipped Cream Topping Ingredients:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut toasted
- Chocolate Curls for Garnish optional
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy removal of the bars. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, and cubed butter. Using a food processor or pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Press into the bottom of your 9x13 inch pan and bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
To make the chocolate ganache:
- In a small saucepan bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat. Then add the chocolate chips and stir until melted until a smooth and shiny ganache forms. Once the crust has cooled for about 10 minutes, pour the ganache on top and spread evenly. Place in the fridge to let the chocolate set while making coconut cream layer.
To make the coconut cream:
- In a large saucepan combine the half and half, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil. Whisk constantly until it becomes a thick like pudding. Mine took about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour over the chocolate layer. Refrigerate the bars for at least 3-4 hours until they are set up.
To make the whipped topping:
- Beat together the heavy whipped cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread on top of the coconut cream layer. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. To make toasted coconut, spread on a cookie sheet and broil until toasted or cook over medium heat until toasted.
- You can also top with chocolate curls for garnish.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.