I’m so excited to be here guest posting for The Recipe Critic! My name is Lizzy from Your Cup of Cake and I’m all about quick, easy and delicious recipes! So what does that mean? It means I believe in the “cake mix.” They make things so fast and simple AND you can use gluten free cake mixes if you need to! I thought I would share a recipe from my new cookbook Make it with a Cake Mix… Chocolate Coconut Whoopie Pies!
I love cake mixes but I also LOVE Muddy Buddy (Puppy Chow) recipes, be sure to check out my 25+ recipes!
Chocolate Coconut Whoopie Pies
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix I always prefer Pillsbury mixes
- 2 eggs
- ½ Cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Coconut Cream Filling:
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- ¼ Cup butter softened
- 1 ½ tsp. coconut extract
- 3-4 Cup powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with parchment paper.
- Sift cake mix into a large bowl to remove any lumps.
- Add eggs, butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract and stir until combined well.
- Make dough balls the size of 1 or 1 ½ Tablespoons (depending on how large you want to finished product to be) and place on the cookies sheets 2 inches apart from each other. Gently pat down the cookies a little bit to that they don’t bake too tall.
- Bake for 7-12 minutes, depending on how fudgey or cakey you like your cookies.
- Beat cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes. Add coconut extract and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- To assemble, frost the bottom of half of your cooled cookies. Then take the unfrosted cookies and pace them on top of the frosted ones creating your cookie “sandwiches.” Roll exposed edges in shredded coconut for added decoration.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.