Chocolate Whoopie Pie Cake is a delicious spin on the classic whoopie pie! A dense chocolate cake filled with a soft and pillowy marshmallow filling and drizzled in a chocolate ganache.
Hi, it’s Jenn, from Eat Cake For Dinner. Let me introduce you to one of the BEST cakes you will ever have. Seriously, I love this cake. Every layer of flavor is out of control delicious. A dense fudgy cake with a soft and pillowy marshmallow filling and creamy chocolate ganache. OMG!!!
It’s a cake version of a Whoopie Pie. Instead of a dense chocolate cookie with marshmallow filling, it’s a dense chocolate cake with marshmallow filling. I don’t know about you, but I would pick cake over a cookie any day of the week.
After my first bite of this DIVINE cake, I decided this would have to be my birthday cake this year and I did in fact make it for myself on my birthday :). It starts out with the easiest semi-homemade cake. I use this cake recipe all the time and switch up the cake mix and pudding flavor depending on my mood. This is the perfect go-to recipe to have on hand. Then, you will make an extremely creamy and fluffy marshmallow creme filling that is spread between the two layers of cake. Top it all off with a silky smooth chocolate ganache.
This is a really rich cake, so a small slice is plenty, but that won’t stop you from going back for multiple slices throughout the day!
Chocolate Whoopie Pie Cake
- 1 15.25 oz. box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 3.9 oz. box instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 3/4 c. water
- 3/4 c. vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Marshmallow Creme Filling:
- 10 Tbl. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 7 oz. carton marshmallow creme
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips I used milk chocolate
- 3 Tbl. whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For the Cake: Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, mix until all ingredients are completely incorporated and mixture is smooth. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan and spread out evenly. It is a very thick batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert to a wire rack and cool completely. Once cake is cool, slice in half horizontally.
- For the Marshmallow Creme Filling: In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix butter until smooth. Add the marshmallow creme, salt and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add remaining one cup of powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy. Spread filling over the bottom half of the cake and place top half of cake over the creme filling.
- For the Chocolate Ganache: Place chocolate chips in a small bowl; set aside. Microwave whipping cream in a small, microwave-safe, dish until it starts to bubble. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir together until smooth and creamy. If chocolate chips aren't completely melted. Place in the microwave and heat, stirring every 10 seconds until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted. Allow to cool for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and pour over cake. Store cake in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
You might also like these delicious recipes from Eat Cake For Dinner.