Hi! Jenn back from Deliciously Sprinkled with a delicious cake recipe, just in time for the upcoming holidays! This Cinnamon-Sugar Cake has been at our families Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner table ever since I was a little girl. It’s everyone’s favorite cake and my grandma only makes it during the holiday season.
So when I wanted to make this Cinnamon-Sugar Cake for my husband’s birthday, my grandma shared her recipe with me and I’m excited to share this famous cake recipe with all of you today, your welcome! 🙂
This cake is light and fluffy, and the cinnamon buttercream frosting packs a big hit of cinnamon flavor without being too overwhelming. If you love a classic snickerdoodle cookie this cake is for you, enjoy!
More delicious cinnamon-sugar recipes from Deliciously Sprinkled:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 2 sticks cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon-sugar sprinkle on top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray two 9-on. round baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool before frosting.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread the frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I love all things cinnamon and used this recipe to make cinnamon cake balls. The balance of cinnamon and sweet is lovely. Thank you for the recipe!
Can you make this ahead of time, or at least the frosting?
can you make this as a bundt cake? If so how long would you recommend cooking it?
This cake was as moist and delicious as the picture looked! Very simple to make as well. But the amount of ingredients it called for barely filled a single round cake pan! I poured it into a 13 x 9 pan instead, which was way too large , so my cake was very thin. An 9 inch square pan would have been perfect. Will definitely make this again and double the recipe for 2 normal round, or 13 x 9 pan sized cake 🙂
How long would you suggest baking it with the recipe doubled? And should I frost just the top or cut it in half to have center layer of frosting? Sorry for so many questions! I’m a total beginner and do well following exact recipes but no idea how to modify or improvise them yet.
Love this gorgeous cinnamon cake! I’ll take anything cinnamon flavour but this really is amazing!
I made this Cake this. Morning and I loved it very much iwould give it five Stars.
Light cake with cinnamon frosting..Yummy!
Mmmm that cake looks fantastic! Great job 🙂
I’m not a big cake person. I’d usually prefer brownies, cookies, or pie. But this look amazing! I totally pinned it!
Sugary awesomeness! It is allowed once in a while!