Hey everyone! Chelsea back from Chelsea’s Messy Apron with some soup today! I adore red potatoes so any chance I can use them in a recipe, I do! This is a little twist on a potato soup by using red potatoes instead of yukon gold potatoes. I LOVE the addition of the red potatoes!
You’ve still got all the fillings/toppings we all know and love for a baked potato — cheddar cheese, chives (green onions work well too), bacon, and sour cream.
This soup is ultra filling, and total comfort food at it’s best! Enjoy! 🙂
Red Potato Soup
- 1 package 12 ounces smoked bacon
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds red potatoes cubed*
- 6 chicken boullion cubes or 6 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 4 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 1 container 8 ounces sour cream, I use reduced fat
- 2 and 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese separated
- Salt and pepper
- Chives or green onions
- Prep: Wash the red potatoes and cut into small cubes. Peel if desired (I like to leave the peel on). Dice the onion, dice the celery, dice the carrot.
- In a very large pot, over medium heat, cook all of the bacon to desired doneness.
- Remove onto a paper towel lined plate and dab off the excess grease. Coarsely chop the bacon.
- Drain all of the bacon fat except for 3 tablespoons.
- Add in the onion, celery, and carrot and cook until the onion is translucent over medium heat, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic in the last 30 seconds.
- Add in the potatoes and toss everything to coat.
Cover everything with 6 cups water and 6 regular sized chicken boullion cubes (watch out, there are extra large ones -- if you get large ones adjust) OR 6 cups chicken stock.
- Heat to boiling and then reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash down some of the tender potatoes, leaving some chunks.
- In another pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for one minute over medium heat.
- Very slowly add in 2 cups of room temperature milk.
- Whisk until thickened. Add in a generous amount of salt and pepper (I add about a tsp of each, but to your preference!)
- To the potatoes: add in the cream mixture, additional 2 cups of milk, sour cream, generous amount of chives or green onions, 2 cups of the cheese, and half of the cooked bacon.
- Stir and cook until heated and cheese is melted.
- Top individual bowls with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining bacon, and remaining chives/green onions.
*I like to leave the skin on, but peel if that is your preference
More Soup Recipes from Chelsea’s Messy Apron: