Easy and delicious lemon bundt cake with a buttercream frosting. This cake comes out perfectly moist and tender and is perfect for summer!
Hey Recipe Critic readers! This is Chelsea back from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. I hope you are all enjoying your summer and eating lots of great food!
This lemon bundt cake has been top on our favorites this summer. While maybe not a typical summer treat (meaning you have to turn on your oven), the colors totally make it seem like a fun summer cake.
This cake starts with a boxed mix which honestly I think is the best! It saves tons of time and you have a super intense and delicious lemon flavor which is sometimes hard to come by in a from scratch lemon cake (I’ve tried lots!)
I did make this cake with a glaze and a few weeks later with a buttercream and the buttercream was everyone’s voted favorite. The buttercream is absolutely delicious and bursting with fresh lemon flavor. If you’ve never tried lemon extract, you’ll be amazed how much it boosts the lemon flavor. You can find lemon extract usually on a baking or spices aisle right by other baking extracts (vanilla, almond, etc.)
I hope you all love this cake!
Lemon Bundt Cake
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) instant lemon pudding mix dry
- 1 cup (full fat) sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large lemons separated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and lightly flour a nonstick bundt cake pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cake mix, pudding, sour cream, eggs, oil, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 4 tablespoons juice, lemon extract, and water until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the mixture and spread evenly in the bundt cake pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then invert the cake onto a cake stand or plate.
- In a small bowl whisk together ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice and ⅓ cup white sugar. Brush this mixture generously over the cake being slow to allow it to soak in. Do this while it is still pretty hot and then let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, whip the butter with 1 and ½ teaspoons lemon zest on medium-high speed until very fluffy.
- Mix in 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, heavy cream, vanilla, and lemon extract. Add remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, then whip mixture until very fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Pipe the frosting over the cake (or spread it over it)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.