Hey Recipe Critic readers! It’s Chelsea back again from Chelsea’s Messy Apron to bring you a meal to balance out that salted caramel sauce I just shared a few days ago 🙂
And this is just the meal to do that! It is super packed with healthy ingredients such as kale, veggies, and a vegetable marinara sauce. It’s a vegetarian meal, but trust me, you won’t miss the meat. With all the delicious vegetables and sauce PLUS the ricotta cheese, this is a meal to get your family on-board with meatless Mondays! The prep is quite simple and they can be ready in about 45 minutes (including the cooking time).
If you aren’t completely sold on kale, spinach is a great substitute. Enjoy 🙂
More healthy and EASY dinner recipes from Chelsea’s Messy Apron:
Crockpot cheesy enchilada quinoa
Crockpot quinoa, chicken, and sweet potato fajitas
One skillet sweet potato burrito bowls
One skillet lemon chicken and red potatoes
Easy Vegetable and Kale Lasagna Roll-ups
- 12 lasagna noodles use whole wheat if you can find them
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups kale stem removed and finely chopped
- 3 cups mild chunky vegetable marinara sauce divided
- 1 container ricotta 15 ounce
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely shredded
- Optional: freshly chopped parsley
- Boil the lasagna noodles according to the package directions to al dente. Remove from the heat, drain, and lay out to dry in a straight shape.
- While the noodles boil, dice the sweet peppers, the onion, mince garlic, and chop the kale.
- Into a large saucepan over medium heat, pour the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and then the chopped sweet peppers and onion. Sauté until tender, and then add in the kale for about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chunky marinara sauce, and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly among the lasagna noodles. Place the cooked vegetable mixture over evenly.
- Roll up the lasagna noodles.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, spread 1 cup of marinara sauce. Place the lasagna roll-ups on top.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the roll-ups, and then cover with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover the pan with foil, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the roll-ups from the oven, top with parsley if desired, and serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.