Hey there, friends! It’s Liz from Love Grows Wild, and I am so excited to share this delicious meal idea with you! Everyone loves a good chicken and rice dinner, and this recipe with a tangy citrus dressing, tender grilled chicken, and fresh, crisp vegetables is sure to become a new favorite!
I don’t know about your family, but in my house everyone has a different dinner request. My husband would be happy with some form of beef every night for the rest of his life. And my oldest son could eat a pound of pasta by himself, if I let him. Maybe even two. But my youngest, oddly enough, is quite the vegetarian at 4 years old. He actually will eat whatever meat you ask him to, but given the choice, he’d gladly take a salad, orange slices, and an apple over chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, and french fries any day. Not your typical kid, right? I’m pretty proud of his healthy eating habits, but my farm-kid husband who raised cattle growing up thinks he must be from another plant. Lol! Needless to say, sometimes finding a dinner everyone can agree on can be pretty difficult.
That’s exactly why these chicken and rice bowls are so perfect. Even though everyone has their own preferences, a good, grilled chicken breast is something I know everyone will enjoy. This recipe has a little something for everyone… meat for my husband, carbs for my oldest, and veggies for my youngest. It’s a winner winner chicken dinner! Literally. Pun totally intended.
The recipe starts by making an orange and lemon citrus dressing with that doubles as a marinade for the chicken and a finishing touch for the rice bowl. I don’t know about you, but this time of year I start to seriously crave grilled foods, especially during the super long winter we’ve had! Having a nice grill pan or the classic George Foreman grill is so nice to enjoy some delicious grilled food when it’s too cold to fire the grill up outside. I love how tender and flavorful the chicken is from the citrus marinade!
Once the chicken is grilled to perfection, throw together some cooked rice (white, brown, any kind will do!) and fresh veggies and toss with some of the reserved citrus dressing. Serve the chicken on top, and enjoy!
The sugar snap peas are crisp and fresh. The chicken is moist and tender. And the tangy citrus dressing ties the whole dish together for a healthy, colorful, mouth-watering meal! I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Grilled Citrus Chicken Rice Bowls
Everyone loves a good chicken and rice dinner, and this recipe with a tangy citrus dressing, tender grilled chicken, and fresh, crisp vegetables is sure to become a new favorite!
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 3 cups rice cooked
- 1 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup sugar snap peas cut in half
- 1/2 cup scallions finely chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, orange zest, salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Place chicken in a zip-top bag and add 3 tablespoons of the citrus dressing. Seal bag and flip a few times to make sure the chicken is fully coated. Marinate in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Take chicken out of bag and dab any excess marinade on a paper towel. If the chicken is dripping with marinade when it goes on the grill, chances are it will burn. Grill chicken 7-8 minutes on each side or until chicken reaches 165° F. Remove from grill and slice thinly on the bias.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, carrots, sugar snap peas, and scallions. Add 4 tablespoons of the citrus dressing and gently toss to combine.
- Serve chicken over rice and drizzle with remaining dressing, if desired.