Hey guys and gals! It’s Liz from Love Grows Wild, and I’m excited to be back! I know everyone is up to their eyeballs in Thanksgiving recipes at the moment, so I’m going to give you a fantastic way to use up all that leftover turkey that you are going to go CRAZY over! You have to promise me one thing today… you MUST save some of your turkey to make these Grilled Turkey Florentine Sandwiches!
So here’s the breakdown of this delicious sandwich…
First is the turkey. Have a lot leftover from Thanksgiving? Not a problem! It’s perfect for this sandwich. You can also roast a smaller turkey breast any time of the year to use for this recipe. In a pinch, you can always grab some turkey slices from the deli, but it won’t be quite as good as having thick carved slices.
Then we add some veg. Fresh baby spinach… yes! Sliced mushrooms cooked in butter… oh yeah! These veggies add another layer of delicious flavor, some gorgeous bright green color from the spinach, and not to mention, a good amount of nutrition too. Since you’re getting a good serving of vegetables, you don’t have to feel so bad about all the butter and cheese you’re about to consume too, right? All in moderation! 🙂
Then a few slices of peppered bacon goes on top of the veggies. All that deliciousness gets sandwiched between two slices of buttermilk bread with two slices of provolone cheese… oh man is it good! But what makes it REALLY good is my secret for the BEST grilled cheese ever… Are you ready for it? I sprinkle garlic powder onto the buttered bread before I put it into the pan to cook, and it makes the sandwich taste amazing!! Seriously, once you try it, you’ll never make your grilled cheese any other way!
Once you have all the yummy ingredients piled onto the bread, the sandwich goes into a pan with just a bit of heat. You want to give the cheese a chance to melt and the spinach a chance to just barely wilt before the bread gets perfectly toasted on the outside. You are going to be amazed when you take a bite of this sandwich! Tender turkey, peppery bacon, smoky cheese, and garlic toast combine to make a sandwich that is seriously meant for the record books. You simply must experience this deliciousness for yourself!
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday full of lots of food, love, and laughter! xoxo Liz
Grilled Turkey Florentine Sandwich
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices peppered bacon cooked
- 4 ounces turkey breast sliced (I like to use leftover roasted turkey!)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices buttermilk bread
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- butter for spreading on bread
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and saute until tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Spread butter evenly on one side of each bread slice and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder.
- Layer one slice of cheese on the unbuttered side of 2 bread slices, then add the turkey, mushrooms, spinach, and bacon, dividing ingredients evenly between both sandwiches. Top each sandwich with remaining cheese slices and the bread, leaving buttered side out.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet and carefully transfer sandwiches to skillet. Grill sandwiches on both sides until cheese is melted, spinach is slightly wilted, and bread is toasted to golden-brown. Slice sandwich in half and serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.