Despite their name, these Grinch Cookies are just about as festive and holiday-friendly as can be! These soft and chewy cookies are colored Grinch-green and decorated with milk chocolate candy pieces.
Hi everyone! Sam here again from Sugar Spun Run! Today I have another cookie recipe for you, this one a holiday cookie recipe!
Now, I have a feeling that you’re already familiar with the classic Christmas cookie lineup. I imagine you’re no stranger to sweet frosted Sugar Cookies or cinnamon sugar coated Snickerdoodles, but I’m wondering if you’ve ever had your holiday cookie tray graced by the likes of a GRINCH COOKIE.
These cookies are definitely a little… different looking from the classics. With their Grinch-y green hue and their red and green candy decorations, you’re not going to confuse them with your run-of-the-mill cookies, and you’re definitely not going to forget them.
These cookies are soft and chewy, and with the chocolate M&M pieces throughout they’ll actually probably most remind you of a classic chocolate chip cookie — just without the classic chocolate chip coloring ?
The Grinch-esque coloring comes comes from the addition of a few drops of food coloring. I like to use Americolor gel food coloring — a little bit goes a long way. Make sure to stir it in with your liquid ingredients (before adding your flour) and stir until it’s evenly combined — this will keep your cookies from having a streaky coloring.
While I used both red and green M&Ms to decorate the cookies, I tried to use more red, they reminded me of the Grinch’s two-sizes-too small red heart.
These cookies will need to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to keep them from spreading too thin while they bake in the oven. If needed you can chill them overnight or longer, these are great for making ahead, and the dough freezes well, too (just make sure that you scoop it into balls before freezing!).
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 drops bright green food coloring, more if you want it greener
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup red and green M&Ms plus additional ½ cup for topping cookies, if desired
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until well-combined and light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract and food coloring, until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Set mixer to low speed and gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add ingredients and stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold in M&M candies and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Drop cookie dough by heaping 1 ½ Tbsp-sized scoops onto prepared cookie sheets, for perfectly round cookies roll dough in your hands into a smooth ball.
- Bake on 350F for 11-13 minutes. If desired, gently press additional M&Ms into the tops of each cookie for decoration while they are still warm.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before removing.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.