This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This fruity drink is a version of the Lava Flow cocktail that the whole family can enjoy! It’s creamy and refreshing with delicious coconut, pineapple, and strawberry in each sip.
What is a Lava Flow Drink?
A lava flow cocktail is a chilled drink that will make you feel like you’re on a tropical vacation. It’s a juicy blend of flavors that creates a stunning visual effect, just like flowing lava! Typically, this drink is made by combining white rum, coconut cream, pineapple juice, and fresh strawberries, but today’s recipe is a non-alcoholic version so that the whole family can enjoy it!
The magic happens when you pour a layer of strawberry puree into the glass, followed by the creamy coconut-pineapple mixture. This creates a beautiful red and white swirl reminiscent of molten lava. Together it creates a flavor that’s creamy, tangy, and sweet all at once! So relax, take a sip, and get ready to be transported to tropical paradise. For more delicious summer drinks, find my full list of recipes here!
Ingredients Needed for a Lava Flow Mocktail
Ready to make the most delicious frozen drink? Here is everything that you’ll need! Trust me, you’re going to want a lava flow drink in your hand all summer.
- Frozen Strawberries: These give the lava flow its signature red color and slush-like texture.
- Pineapple Juice: This gets blended with the cream and coconut for a piña colada-esque flavor. You can also use lime juice if you want something a little more sour.
- Half and Half: Adds creaminess to the pineapple coconut layer. You can also use milk for a lighter consistency, or a splash of heavy cream for a creamier consistency.
- Cream of Coconut: For the perfect tropical flavor! Any drink made with cream of coconut is so delicious.
- Bananas: I threw in half of a banana to balance out the tanginess of the pineapple.
- Ice: To create a slushie texture.
- Fresh Strawberries and Pineapple: (For garnish) break out your nicest glasses and add some fresh fruit as a garnish to really impress your friends and family!
How to Make a Non-Alcoholic Lava Flow
This lava flow drink is so good, and so easy to make! All it takes is a few steps of blending and layering, then you have a beautiful and tasty drink on your hands!
- Blend Strawberries With Pineapple: In a blender blend the strawberries and 1 ounce of the pineapple juice and the half and half until smooth.
- Add to Glass: Pour mixture into a glass, or divide evenly into multiple glasses if making more than 1 serving.
- Layer Coconut Mixture: Clean the blender well. Add the remaining pineapple juice, cream of coconut, banana, and ice. Blend until smooth. Slowly pour the pineapple mixture into the glass with the strawberry mixture.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish lava flow with a strawberry or pineapple wedge, if desired, and serve.
Ways to Customize Your Drink
Making tasty beverages at home is addictive! These are a few more ways you can make this tropical drink your own.
- Make it Boozy: For an adults-only version, add a splash of coconut or light rum.
- Make it Dairy-Free: Instead of half and half, use a splash of almond milk, oat milk, or even light coconut milk!
Making Ahead and Storing Leftovers
I recommend serving your lava flow drinks immediately so they don’t melt, but if you need to, here’s how to store them for later.
- In the Refrigerator: Store your strawberry and coconut mixtures separately in airtight pitchers so you can still achieve that layered look when ready to serve. I would only keep it in the fridge for an hour or two at most.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Lava Flow Drink
- In a blender blend the strawberries and 1 ounce of the pineapple juice and the half and half until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into a glass, or divide evenly into multiple glasses if making more than 1 serving.
- Clean the blender well. Add the remaining pineapple juice, cream of coconut, banana, and ice. Blend until smooth. Slowly pour the pineapple mixture into the glass with the strawberry mixture.
- Garnish with fresh fruit, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.