Hi everybody! My name is Jenn from Deliciously Sprinkled and I’m Alyssa’s newest contributor here on The Recipe Critic. I am so excited to share some delicious recipes with all of you! I have been a huge fan of all Alyssa’s easy to make and amazing recipes for years and I’m so honored to be able to contribute to her site!
Today, I’m sharing with you one of my favorite cupcake recipes. These Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes are bursting with vanilla, fresh blueberries and a hint of lemon. Piled high with a delicious lemon buttercream frosting and of course, it wouldn’t be a cupcake with out SPRINKLES!
With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, these cupcakes just scream warm weather and outdoor parties. Their so delicious and refreshing that every time I make these Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes for a party, they are always the first thing to go.
So let’s start baking…
These cupcakes are super simple to make. I start out by using my favorite Vanilla Cupcake recipe. I added some fresh lemon juice and lemon zest to give these cupcakes their refreshing but not over powering lemon flavor. I then add fresh blueberries, but you could use frozen blueberries, as well. I baked these cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes and let them cool before I topped them with the delicious lemon buttercream frosting.
And don’t forget to top each cupcake with SPRINKLES and an extra blueberry to make these cupcakes look extra pretty!
Enjoy & Happy Spring!
Looking for more delicious Blueberry recipes?
Homemade Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Bread
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries
Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- yellow sprinkles
- extra blueberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (1) muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add the sour cream. lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ the way full with cupcake batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and heavy whipping cream. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Frost cupcakes using a piping bag or knife. Top with SPRINKLES and blueberries.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
These are so good! I made cream cheese frosting instead and they turned out amazing! I think I will add more blueberries next time though.
I made these to take to a bbq. They are light and refreshing! Weeks later, the hostess told me that she had put some leftover cupcakes in the freezer and they were just as fresh when she defrosted them!
I made these cupcakes and they were absolutely delicious! Thanks for the great recipe.
Can i double this recipe? Because i need to make 24 cupcakes.
Yes, of course! The more the better ;)! XOXO
As a first timer baker, this cupcake recipe is simple yet yummy! All though, I wasn’t a fan for the frosting, so I used lemon frosting from walmart instead, which was great!
These are amazing! I made them for a fourth of July celebration and they were gone in a minute. I’ve been thinking of them ever so be and will be making them tonight for a graduation ceremony. I followed the recipe exactly.
Made these cupcakes with friends and then again for my family and they were amazing both times! Super lemony and moist cakes, definitely going to try your other recipes! 🙂
That is great to hear! I am so glad that you have made them a couple times. Thanks so much for sharing and following along with me! XOXO
I made these with a twist, instead of blueberries in the batter, I made them with Black mission figs, the rest I left the same
MMM! That sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing! XOXO
We tried these, and while the cake was good, the frosting had almost no flavor, lemon or otherwise. We ate 4 of the 12 cupcakes then decided to scrape off the frosting and try another recipe that we found which included roughly double the sugar of this one, more lemon juice, and a tablespoon of lemon zest. The difference was huge, and the cupcakes went from bleh to amazing. I like this cake recipe, but the frosting recipe is a waste of ingredients.
do you add whole blueberries or chopped blueberries?
I made these to take to a New Year’s eve party. It is (supposed to be) summer here in Aotearoa New Zealand.
They were delicious, everyone loved them. Thanks for the recipe.
Would it be bad to make these on a Sunday, frost them Monday night, then bring them to my daughter’s preschool on Tuesday? Do they keep well? Would a cream cheese frosting work well on them too? I love cream cheese frosting 🙂
These look amazing! I’m going to make these for a baby shower. Can I make them ahead?
Am i crazy? When/where do we ass the one cup of blueberries to the recipe???
Step 3- at the end, it says fold in blueberries.
These look delish! Perfect for Spring
Holey moley these look amazing! Thank you for yet another delicious recipe!