My hubby’s mom is Finnish. Her parents literally came over to America on a boat from Finland. When I met my hubby’s parents for the first time, they made Pannukakku for breakfast. It was so fun having her teach me how to make this and it was surprisingly easy. One of my favorite memories with them was the weekend I spent meeting them in Chicago. I was seriously amazed at how delicious this pancake was. It is hard to describe a finnish pancake. Basically if a crepe, a custard, a pancake and french toast had a baby, this would be it! Doesn’t that just sound amazing?? All of your favorite things rolled up into one!
My hubby’s mom would make him these pancakes every year on his birthday. So guess who just had a birthday? The hubs. But this birthday was a little more special than the rest. He turned 30!! I had to make him pannukakku of course and then completely surprised him with a getaway to a resort, snow tubing, a nixon watch, and the best tickets that I could buy to the Avalance vs Blackhawks game in Denver! Woot woot! I am a great wife like that. We had such a fun day together. I am so glad that after a year of asking his mom for the recipe to this that I finally got my hands on it! This is one delicious pancake!
Rating: Definitely 5 stars! Difficulty of Recipe: 2 stars
Review: These are so excellent and easy. You probably have all of the ingredients on hand and ready to make. You can serve them up with fresh fruit on top, whip cream, syrup, or even some jam. I also served it with peppered bacon and found a new and delicious technique to make them in the oven. I will never make bacon on the stove again! This is a favorite family recipe that we will be making again and again!
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- Bacon I used the yummy thick stuff
- ground black pepper
- brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place the butter in a 9x13 and put into the oven to melt and become slightly bubbly.
- Whisk together (I do this in my kitchenaid) the 4 eggs until combined.
- Add the flour, milk, salt, and sugar. Blend together until batter is thin.
- Pull the pan out of the oven with the melted butter that is slightly bubbly.
- Gently and slowly, pour the batter on top of the melted butter.
- Cook for 30 minutes. When it is done, it will be golden brown around the edges and bubble up especially over the sides.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the bacon laying side by side on top of the aluminum foil.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Once done, transfer to paper towels so that the excess grease can drain.
- Peppered Bacon Recipe from The Baker Upstairs
Bacon (I used the yummy thick stuff)
ground black pepper
brown sugar 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Place the bacon laying side by side on top of the aluminum foil.
4. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until desired crispness.
5. Once done, transfer to paper towels so that the excess grease can drain.
Peppered Bacon Recipe from The Baker Upstairs
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Look at how much fun I had reminding my cute hubby that he is 30! I did buy him over the hill decorations. Except now I think over the hill is at least 60 these days!