Hi, everyone! It’s Samantha from Five Heart Home, and I’m so excited to be here while Alyssa takes some time to enjoy her sweet new (pink!!!) bundle of joy! Over at Five Heart Home, I blog quick and easy, family-friendly, real food recipes…so that’s exactly what I brought over today!
Every June, I look forward to peach season in the Texas Hill Country, when the summer stone fruit abounds! There’s nothing like a sweet, juicy peach, still warm from the sun, bought at a roadside stand and eaten before you even get to your car. Aside from enjoying peaches as-is, however, I also like to incorporate them into recipes this time of year, so I thought it would be fun to add them to a puffy, golden, German Pancake!
Have you had a German Pancake (AKA, Dutch Baby) before? It’s basically like a popover in pancake form. It bakes up in a dish or skillet, turning golden brown and magically puffing up in the process. As soon as you remove it from the oven, it deflates. I like to top my German Pancake with powdered sugar before slicing, but you can also serve it with maple syrup if you prefer.
But this German Pancake? It’s even tastier than usual because of those aforementioned peaches. And it’s so simple to make! If you find yourself craving this dish during a different season of year, you can easily substitute frozen peaches for fresh. You just briefly bake your cinnamon and sugar-coated peaches in a pool of sizzling butter while you whip up a basic batter in the blender. Then pour that batter on top of the hot peaches and wait for the oven to do its magic! Easy as pie — er, pancake. 😉
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try the next time you’re craving a tasty breakfast or putting together a special brunch menu. Heck, a Peach German Pancake even makes a great breakfast-for-dinner on those nights when you don’t feel like putting much effort into supper!
Thanks so much for having me over, Alyssa, and congratulations on your beautiful new daughter! And thanks to all of you Recipe Critic readers for hanging out with me for awhile today…I’d be honored to have you visit me sometime at Five Heart Home as well, or connect with me via social media below!
Peach German Pancake
A delicious German Pancakes with delicious fresh peaches inside!
- 3 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon divided
- 2 cups peeled sliced peaches (about 10 to 12 ounces, fresh or frozen)
- 2 tabespoons butter
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk at room temparature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Position oven rack one level lower than center and preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, blend 2 tablespoons sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in peach slices and toss until evenly coated.
- Place butter in a 9 to 10-inch glass pie plate or ovenproof skillet. Place dish in oven for a couple of minutes until butter is melted. Use a potholder to remove dish from oven and swirl to evenly coat bottom with melted butter.
- Spread peach slices over butter in an even layer and return to oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- While peaches are baking, pour eggs, milk, flour, salt, vanilla, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a blender. Blend on medium speed for 1 minute. Once peaches have baked, remove dish from oven with a potholder and slowly pour batter over peaches.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pancake is golden brown and puffy. Allow to cool for a few minutes on a wire rack (it will significantly deflate) before dusting with powdered sugar, slicing, and serving warm.