These Salted Caramel Brownie Bites are made with a simple, from-scratch, brownie batter and are filled with a rich (easy to make!) caramel filling! Top everything off with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt for a dessert you’ll be coming back to over and over again!
Hi everyone, Sam here again from Sugar Spun Run. Today I have yet another sweet treat to share: these absolutely irresistible, decadent, Salted Caramel Brownie Bites!
Brownies have always been one of my favorite desserts, but I’ve recently found that they’re even better (and quite a bit more addicting) in bite-sized form. These brownie bites are great on their own and I’ve been making them for forever, but they’re even better when filled. In the past I’ve filled them with cream cheese frosting or peanut butter frosting (both are fantastic options!), but filling them with creamy salted caramel is my current favorite.
How to Make Caramel Sauce for Salted Caramel Brownie Bites
The caramel for these brownie bites is super easy to make. For today’s recipe, you’ll simply be melting down caramel candies and heavy cream.
I like to combine my caramels and my cream on the stovetop and melt the caramel on low heat, stirring frequently. Keep stirring until the mixture is completely smooth.
If you don’t want to use pre-made store-bought caramels, you can use a homemade caramel sauce, just keep in mind that this sort of caramel sauce won’t firm up quite as much as the version included in this recipe.
Whichever caramel you use, make sure you let it cool completely before biting in — nothing ruins a great dessert quite like scalding yourself with scorching hot caramel (ask me how I know!).
How to Make Salted Caramel Brownie Bites
Salted Caramel Brownie Bites
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into Tablespoon-sized pieces
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips 100g
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder 50g
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee grounds optional
- 1 cup tightly packed light or dark brown sugar 200g
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100g
- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour 140g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 35 caramels
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 115ml
- Fine sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and spray a 24-count mini muffin tin with baking spray**
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well, microwave for another 15 seconds and then stir well again. Repeat for 15 seconds until chocolate and butter are completely melted and well-combined.
- Stir in cocoa powder, instant coffee, and sugars, then add eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat well.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until well-combined.
- Drop batter by 1 ½ Tablespoon into prepared mini muffin tin.
- Transfer to 350F (175C) oven and bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few fudgy crumbs (not wet batter!).
- Immediately after baking take a rounded teaspoon or Tablespoon and press into each brownie bite to make a well (see photo in post for example).
- Allow brownie bites to cool while you prepare your caramel filling.
- Prepare your caramel filling by combining caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until caramel is completely melted and mixture is smooth, then remove from heat.
- Use a spoon to pour melted caramel into each brownie bite.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool completely before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.