It’s almost the end of January. Have you stayed strong to your resolutions? This is the first year that I have been going strong and sticking to my resolutions. I used to believe in the saying “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”. Because some of the treats on this blog are to die for. But as I am starting to lose a lot of weight, it is the best feeling ever!
I am finding that you don’t have to sacrifice on taste while you watch what you eat. I have found some delicious new ways to make meals that are full of flavor. I have also found some new ways to make desserts that are made with less fat and lower calories.
Like this recipe. Cheesecake and Fudgy Brownies. The best of both worlds. Substituting some healthier and lower fat ingredients bring the calories down so that you can still enjoy a little square and have your chocolate fix. And because I am obsessed with cheesecake, this dessert was amazing!
Recipe adapted from Food Network
Skinny Fudge Swirled Cheesecake Brownies
Delicious fudgy cheesecake brownies that are lower in calories and absolutely delicious!
- 8 ounces cream cheese reduced-fat
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened Dutch-process
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line am 8x8 with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the Cheesecake Layer: Beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy for about one minute. Beat in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Lastly beat in the egg until smooth. Set aside.
To make the brownie layer:
- Put the chocolate, butter, and oil into a microwave safe bowl. Cook 30 seconds at a time stirring until it is melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add brown sugar, sugar, buttermilk, egg whites, and vanilla. Whisk vigorously until the batter is thick and glossy. Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture and mix until incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Reserve 1/2 cup of the brownie mixture.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour the cheesecake mixture on top. Use the reserved 1/2 cup of brownie mixture and drop large dollops on top. Swirl with a knife or the bottom of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is just set. Let cool completely and cut into 2 inch squares.