This Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese is creamy, comforting and perfect for potlucks. Best of all, it comes together easily in the crock-pot — even the pasta!
Hey everyone, Kelly here from Life Made Sweeter back again to share another easy dinner recipe! It’s officially fall which means bring on all the hearty comfort foods! Once the cooler weather hits, my kids crave for a giant bowl of mac & cheese regularly.
They love a classic baked macaroni and cheese but with the busy school season we’ve had so far, we’ve been using our slow cooker a lot lately.
This version couldn’t be easier since everything cooks right in the crock pot – even the pasta.
You can boil the pasta first if you prefer but I chose to keep things simple by throwing the uncooked macaroni together with the rest of the ingredients. For the cheeses, I used sharp cheddar, Mozzarella and added some Provolone near the end.
Slow cookers vary by brand and size, so be sure to keep your eye on this and stir every so often so that the pasta cooks evenly.
Mine was perfectly al dente around 90 minutes in a 6-quart cooker.
This slow cooker macaroni and cheese is perfect for camping, potlucks or those busy days when you don’t want to be tied down in the kitchen.
Serve hot with some freshly chopped parsley and toasted panko crumbs.
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 1/3 cups uncooked dry elbow Macaroni or Cavatappi pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 1 10 oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups half and half or 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream (plus more to thin out as needed)
- 2 cups 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese + 1/2 cup reserved for topping
- 1 cup 4 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese (or Monterey Jack)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 slices of Provolone cheese optional - for extra gooeyness
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Toasted panko crumbs for garnish (optional)
Spray a 5-6-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.
Add the dry pasta to the slow cooker. Dot with cubed butter then stir in the condensed cheddar cheese soup, half and half, shredded cheddar, shredded Mozzarella, sour cream, salt, black pepper, mustard, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire and evaporated milk.
Stir to combine, making sure that the pasta is covered in as much liquid as possible.
Cover and cook on low heat (about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours but total time will vary according to your slow cooker - mine was done at 90 minutes). Check pasta after 30 minutes and stir. Cover and continue cooking. Check and GENTLY stir sides every 30 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is thick and creamy. Top with Provolone cheese and remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk as needed. Turn off slow cooker and cover for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Serve immediately with freshly chopped parsley and toasted panko crumbs, if desired.
Transfer any remaining pasta from the slow cooker into a separate casserole dish or pot. If any pasta is left in the slow cooker, even when it's off, it will continue to cook and dry out.
Heat any leftovers on low (either on the stove or slow cooker) and add more milk as needed for a creamier consistency.
More dinners from Life Made Sweeter: