This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Spinach and Sausage Gnocchi with Sage is a quick and easy dinner that is filled with sausage, gnocchi, diced tomatoes, spinach, spices, and sage. This is a flavorful and comforting meal!
The holidays are quickly approaching us and it is such a busy time of the year. Between all of the holiday parties, performances, and baking, I still love to feed my family a hearty and comforting meal. I love a quick and easy meal and gnocchi has always been a family favorite to cook with. We loved as kids when my mom would be cooking a hearty meal for us that involved gnocchi. My mom would always make this tomato gnocchi bake that we gobbled up. Now, my kids love it just as much and I cook dishes with it all of the time.
This dish is bringing you so many delicious savory and hearty flavors. I love using McCormick’s spices in the dishes that I create and rubbed sage is one of my favorites to use. It is a strong aromatic herb with a sweet and bitter pine-like flavor. It complements the other spices in this dish so well. It is amazing how it can bring out such awesome flavor in this dish and is the star ingredient.
What goes well with Sage?
The strong flavor of sage means that a little goes a long way, so use sparingly. Sage works great in Italian dishes and is typically served with pasta or gnocchi.
This dish is ready in about 30 minutes and simple to make from start to finish. You start by sautéing your onions, garlic, and sausage. Once that is ready to go you add the rest of the ingredients including chicken stock, spices, spinach, and gnocchi. Top it off with some cheese and it is ready to bake!
The smell of this baking is so good and my kids couldn’t wait to dig in. It had the perfect balance of flavors and spices and the sausage inside made it so hearty. This is an excellent meal in one. It is perfect for busy nights, especially around the holidays when you want a nice comforting meal. This recipe is a keeper and one that you will want to make again and again!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Spinach and Sausage Gnocchi with Sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package 13 ounce Smoked Sausage
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 can 14.5 ounce fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Ground Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Rubbed Sage
- 1/2 dried McCormick Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Powder
- Seasoned salt and pepper
- 1 package 16 ounce gnocchi, uncooked
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Optional: fresh thyme
- Move a rack in your oven to the upper third of the oven and then preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Put a large oven-safe skillet on the stove at medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil.
- Add in the chopped onion and stir until the onion is transparent -- about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Coin the smoked sausage and add to the skillet. Cook over high heat until lightly browned or about 4-6 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock, undrained fired roasted diced tomatoes (Italian roasted tomatoes for less spicy), thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley flakes, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper (to taste), and uncooked gnocchi. Stir until everything is well combined. Gently stir in the spinach and make sure it's covered with liquid.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and place in the oven.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes. If desired, turn on the broiler and then broil for another 2-3 minutes for a delicious crispy top.
- Remove from the heat, top with additional salt, pepper, and some chopped thyme if desired. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This post was sponsored by McCormick®. I love working with brands that I am passionate about and use in the kitchen for myself. All opinions expressed are my own.