This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Strawberry shortcake is an easy-to-make, simple sweet biscuit base, sweetened whipped cream, and fresh strawberries dessert! It’s the perfect summer dessert and great for making ahead to serve to guests on a whim.
Suppose you love strawberry recipes as much as I do. In that case, you might also enjoy this Homemade Strawberry Cake, this Strawberry Cobbler or this Mouthwatering Strawberry Spinach Salad for a light and simple summer meal!
The Best Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
We are well into strawberry season now, and this classic shortcake recipe needed to happen! Strawberry shortcake is the quintessential summer dessert. It’s fantastic in the summer months when we want to consume as many fresh berries as possible, but we don’t want to spend a lot of time making something over the top. Strawberry desserts are my favorite, especially with juicy local strawberries, and this simple dessert is a showstopper for sure.
This recipe is a simple version that is made with sweet biscuits! They are easy to throw together, and you can even make them in advance and store them on the counter or in the freezer for a quick dessert down the road. Add whatever fresh berries look awesome — strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries — and you have a simple but stunning summer dessert.
Whats Ingredients are Needed to Make Strawberry Shortcake?
There are three parts to this recipe, the biscuits, the strawberries, and the topping. And once you combine them all together, it’s like a slice of heaven in your mouth! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour for the base of this recipe.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These will help the biscuits rise and get nice and soft.
- Salt: The salt enhances the flavors in the recipe.
- Butter: Make sure that your butter is cold (so take it out of the fridge only right when you plan to use it) and unsalted.
- Egg: A couple large eggs is all that you need!
- Buttermilk: You can use storebought buttermilk or you can easily make it with this simple recipe here!
- Water: This will be mixed with an egg to make an egg wash for the biscuits.
- Sugar: This is to slightly sweeten the entire strawberry shortcake up!
- Strawberries: Dice these up so that you get some in every single bite!
- Granulated Sugar: This will sweeten up the strawberries.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This fluffs up and brings the strawberries and cake together.
- Powdered Sugar: This adds a sweet flavor and smooth texture to the heavy whipping cream.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds a splash of vanilla flavor to the overall taste!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Follow these steps, and before you know it, you will have a delicious and elegant dessert that can be made for just about any occasion! Your guests will gobble it right up!
- Stir Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut: Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter until it is in pea-sized pieces.
- Beat: Lightly beat the egg in a small bowl and stir into the flour.
- Chill: Gradually add the buttermilk, adding just enough so that the dough comes together. For best results, cover and chill for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll and Cut: Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2″ thickness. Cut into rounds using a 2 3/4 ” biscuit cutter (or whatever size you prefer).
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place biscuits in the center of the baking sheet so that they are touching.
- Brush with Egg Mixture: Beat together the egg and water and brush over the tops of the biscuits. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake: Bake for 15-20 minutes until light golden brown. Let cool to room temperature before serving your strawberry shortcake.
- Chop: Wash and chop strawberries. Add sugar and stir.
- Wait: Let them sit for 20 minutes or more or until they become juicy.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Beat: In a medium bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Sweeten: Add sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Serve: Serve split biscuits with strawberries and spoon on the whipped cream as desired. This strawberry shortcake is so good!
Can Strawberry Shortcake be Made in Advance?
Yes! At least, components of it can! Here is how you can get things ready before your big get-together!
- Shortcakes or biscuits: You can bake and store at room temperature for up to 2 days, but they may become softer as they sit in an airtight container. You can also freeze before baking, and simple bake as directed right from frozen. Keep an eye on them and add 2-5 extra minutes of bake time if necessary, pulling them out when they are golden brown.
- Strawberries: You can slice and sugar your strawberries and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Whipped Cream: Whipped cream made from heavy cream is best made just before serving, as it can flatten and become watery if left too long. You can also stabilize your whipped cream with some unflavored gelatin to store it longer, or use whipped topping instead.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb strawberries diced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream 30-35%
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter until it is in pea-sized pieces.
- Lightly beat the egg and stir into the flour.
- Gradually add the buttermilk, adding just enough so that the dough comes together. For best results, cover and chill for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2" thickness. Cut into rounds using a 2 3/4 " biscuit cutter (or whatever size you prefer).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place biscuits in the center of the baking sheet so that they are touching.
- Beat together the egg and water and brush over the tops of the biscuits. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until light golden brown. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Wash and chop strawberries. Add sugar and stir.
- Let them sit for 20 minutes or more or until they become juicy.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Serve split biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream as desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.