This pork is a combination of sweet and spicy and the pork just shreds apart and melts in your mouth!
When I was growing up we didn’t have soda or caffeine in our house. I am sure I just made all of the Diet Coke addicts gasp! 🙂 So still to this day I will take a lemonade or water any day over soda. Soda just doesn’t quench your thirst and makes your throat burn and your eyes water. And maybe because I didn’t grow up on it I am just not used to it. My hubby on the other hand has Coca Cola running in his veins. When I would drink a soda, it would be Dr Pepper every time! It definitely is my favorite. I was excited to try out using Dr Pepper in the slow cooker.
I use Coca Cola in my cafe rio pulled pork. There is something about it that makes the pork just peel apart and cook so tenderly. I figured that I would get the same result with Dr Pepper.
The great thing about this recipe is you can throw it into your slow cooker in 5 minutes. It slow cooks all day and was literally falling apart as I was trying to get it out to shred it. The chipotle gives it a kick while the brown sugar and Dr Pepper gives it the sweet balance. This is an easy and delicious dinner that you can top with all of your favorite toppings!
- 1 whole Large Onion
- 1 whole Pork Shoulder 5-7 Pounds
- 1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
- 2 cans Dr. Pepper
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings:
- shredded lettuce
- Cut onion in slices and line the bottom of the crockpot. Lay the pork shoulder on top. Sprinkle pork with brown sugar and salt and pepper.
- Pour the can of chipotle peppers on top of the pork and pour both cans of Dr Pepper on top.
- Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 4-6 hours. Remove pork from the slow cooker and shred. I also took the chipotle peppers out so they weren't too hot for the little ones. Return the shredded pork to crockpot and allow to heat through.
- Serve on tortillas and top with favorite toppings.