This pork is a combination of sweet and spicy and the pork just shreds apart and melts in your mouth!
When I was growing up we didn’t have soda or caffeine in our house. I am sure I just made all of the Diet Coke addicts gasp! 🙂 So still to this day I will take a lemonade or water any day over soda. Soda just doesn’t quench your thirst and makes your throat burn and your eyes water. And maybe because I didn’t grow up on it I am just not used to it. My hubby on the other hand has Coca Cola running in his veins. When I would drink a soda, it would be Dr Pepper every time! It definitely is my favorite. I was excited to try out using Dr Pepper in the slow cooker.
I use Coca Cola in my cafe rio pulled pork. There is something about it that makes the pork just peel apart and cook so tenderly. I figured that I would get the same result with Dr Pepper.
The great thing about this recipe is you can throw it into your slow cooker in 5 minutes. It slow cooks all day and was literally falling apart as I was trying to get it out to shred it. The chipotle gives it a kick while the brown sugar and Dr Pepper gives it the sweet balance. This is an easy and delicious dinner that you can top with all of your favorite toppings!
Sweet and Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
Delicious sweet and spicy pork that is so easy to throw into the crockpot!
- 1 whole Large Onion
- 1 whole Pork Shoulder 5-7 Pounds
- 1 can Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce 11 Ounce
- 2 cans Dr. Pepper
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- shredded lettuce
- Cut onion in slices and line the bottom of the crockpot. Lay the pork shoulder on top. Sprinkle pork with brown sugar and salt and pepper.
- Pour the can of chipotle peppers on top of the pork and pour both cans of Dr Pepper on top.
- Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 4-6 hours. Remove pork from the slow cooker and shred. I also took the chipotle peppers out so they weren't too hot for the little ones. Return the shredded pork to crockpot and allow to heat through.
- Serve on tortillas and top with favorite toppings.