I am starting to think that I buy bananas just so that they can get over ripe and I can make something delicious! I needed a yummy breakfast and I love banana bread so I couldn’t wait to try this recipe!
I have seen banana bread pancakes over at Chef in Training and also Six Sixters Stuff and I have been wanting to try it for a while now. These pancakes tasted just like banana bread! They were really thick and moist and had a delicious banana flavor. I especially loved the vanilla maple glaze on top! This was the perfect way to use my over ripe bananas and this breakfast was a huge hit!
- 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour (You can use 2 cups of all purpose or whole wheat, I just divided it up)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- chopped pecans for garnish (optional)
- Vanilla Maple Glaze:
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat a skillet to medium low heat. In a large mixing bowl whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. Add the milk and vanilla and stir until incorporated. It will be thick.
- Add in mashed bananas and melted butter and mix together until the batter is smooth.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and add ⅓ cup of batter to the center. It takes about 1-3 minutes for the bubbles to appear because the batter is thicker. Once the bubbles appear flip to the other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter. I was able to get about 8 pancakes.
- To make the vanilla maple glaze, whisk together the maple syrup, powdered sugar and vanilla. Serve over warm pancakes.
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats
Subscribe to the Recipe Critic Blog and get family friendly recipes via e-mail.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls - April 18, 2017
- Weekly Menu Plan #96 - April 15, 2017
- Triple Berry Chicken Avocado Salad with a Creamy Lemon Poppyseed Dressing - April 13, 2017