Hi there! It’s Kathi from over at Deliciously Yum! I’m so glad I get to do a guest post for Alyssa today, especially since I have been anxiously waiting to share these Muffins with you.
Now I’m a chocolate girl through and through. Nothing beats a good chocolate chip cookie or a super moist piece of chocolate cake. But neither of these two things are appropriate choices for breakfast. Unfortunately.
So I turned to the next best thing: Muffins. They make for a wonderful breakfast treat or great afternoon snack. When I set out to create the recipe for these muffins, my goal was to make a muffin that is packed with flavor, tastes extremely scrumptious, but without all the guilt. A lightened up version, that you can feel good about eating and gets you off to a great start in the morning.
This recipe is tried and true. I have made it multiple times until I got it just right, but the good news is that it’s still somewhat customizable. For example, I used all-purpose flour, but you could easily swap out half the flour for whole wheat or any other flour you prefer. It works like a charm. You can totally make it your own and it still turns out great every time.
There are too many reasons why these muffins are my favorite, but it doesn’t get much better than these. They are filling, wholesome, super moist and airy, and are sure to please everyone in your family. They freeze really well too. The perfect muffin to have on hand for a quick breakfast on the go or whenever you’re in the mood for some carby goodness.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup skim milk
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, canola oil, honey and vanilla. Add skim milk and stir until combined.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Don’t overmix. It’s okay if a few lumps remain.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared 9 muffin cups and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let muffins cool in muffin pan until they’re safe to handle, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and enjoy!
- Yields 9 muffins
Subscribe to the Recipe Critic Blog and get family friendly recipes via e-mail.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls - April 18, 2017
- Weekly Menu Plan #96 - April 15, 2017
- Triple Berry Chicken Avocado Salad with a Creamy Lemon Poppyseed Dressing - April 13, 2017